header/egr

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 02:29 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Captansavaho
you can still use a long tube header just you have to move the cat
Lengthening those O2 wires isn't fun though, but doable.

Old 08-09-2008, 03:37 PM
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just so everyone knows, ive been spending a lot of time on the phone with the CARB, Bureu of Automotive Repair, and the state referees that determine what swaps are legal and what ones arent.

moving the cat is not legal in california, or anywhere in the us, some places just let you get away with it. It is a federal offense to relocate the cat or remove it.

In california, it is illegal to use any aftermarket cat on an automatic sohc neon that was originally sold in california.

It is also illegal to switch from a atx to a mtx in california if your car was originally a california sold atx sohc. Sorry captansavaho, but i just spent $3000 (tranny, complete rebuild, quaife, maddog sts, mopar computer, sperical rod end cable ends) just to have the carb board tell me that i have to have it switched back to an automatic by my next smog check or they'll impound the car. I know you were wanting to switch, but if you have a cali sold sohc atx, your out of luck. the reason for this is because the swap requires you to change computers, and the state does not allow that on a TLEV car.

That said, ill be driving the car till next dec, when the next smog is due, and then parting it out. Its not worth the money to me to switch it back, the originally tranny was done done. In the meantime, ill be looking for a neon that was originally a 5 speed, which doesnt have such strict rules in california.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:45 AM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What if you bought a car that was switched outside of Cali? Just curious.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:29 PM
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that was the very first thing i tried to find out

unfortunately, if it was sold as a TLEV, it must remain as a TLEV to be registered here, if its modified elsewhere, it has to be put back to register it here again.

Which is leading me to part out my current DD at the end of next year when i have to smog it again, and keep my good parts for the DD that im currently looking for.

gonna do a full rebuild this time, Cory from MP's NYG style

ill be looking for a clean mtx sohc coupe this winter. dont have any other restrictions then that, no serious body damage, straight frame, any color. Its getting stripped, to the frame, seam welded and then repainted and rebuild.