1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

GRRRRRR Fuel problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 09:06 PM
DustDevil33
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update: turns out it wasn't a fuel problem at all. A while back I didn't have time to tune the car up so I paid a garage to do it. The head mechanic was busy so he got his apprentice to do it. I pulled the plugs this morning and lo and behold, the f'n retard never gapped the plugs, he just dumped em in. So I regapped them and the problem went away. Good thing I didn't tear the fuel system apart and spend a bunch of money. Thanks again to 12volt and everyone else who gave me info on the fuel system, it may come in handy some other time

Old 08-28-2008, 02:48 PM
tirebiter

I wish mine was as easy. I determined the fuel pump was working intermittantly and bought a new one. I did not spend the $250.00 for a complete fuel pump/sender module. Instead I cheaped out and bought a pump "kit" from a guy on eBay. The "kit" had the wrong filter socks but I think I managed to make them work. For $29.00, I figured it was worth a shot.

Everything was fine until I used about 3/4 of a tank. I just had the car towed a second time in a week ! I ahd noticed an occasional hessitation after going around a left hand corner, then later in the day when going around right handers also. It seemed to be getting worse but not so bad that I din't think it would strand me. It did however by not starting after going into a grocery store.

This time the pump buzzed just fine so I though it was a PCM problem. I scanned it and found nothing. I finally checked and found zero fuel pressure. Gasoline barely oozed out of the port after I took out the schrader valve and jumpered the fuel pump relay socket, to make the pump run continuously.

I put in a gallon of gas from a can and the car started. At least now it's back in my garage so I can jack it up. Obviously I messed up the pump installation. I'm planning to reuse the old filter screens/socks. It's an interesting arrangemnt where the pump mounts INSIDE a canister. Has any worked on one of these ? I didn't take time to study how it works or why it's such an involved canister/pump arrangement but I'll have to now. Any help explaining the pump mounting inside this module would be of interest to me.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:19 PM
12 volt
Record Breaker

this is all i got for pump install, i havent had to mess with my pump so i couldent tell you how it goes.
http://www.autozone.com/shopping/rep...00c152800792a0

never reuse the old filter/sock

Last edited by 12 volt; 08-28-2008 at 09:26 PM.

Quick Reply: GRRRRRR Fuel problems