1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Back brakes creak no matter WHAT I do, help...

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 12:44 AM
kabuk1
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back brakes creak no matter WHAT I do, help...

This issue has me tearing my hair out. About 2 months ago, I completely replaced my rear brakes- shoes, drums, and even the hardware, because they kept making a very loud rhythmic creaking noise whenever I stopped. The rhythm was directly related to my speed, the slower my wheels turned, the slower the creaks, so it's definitely something rubbing in there. It sounded kinda like bed springs creaking. EEE-er-EEE-er-EEE-er. Very embarrassing in traffic. All was well until today- the noise is starting up again. I cannot afford to convert to rear discs right now or else I would, so I have to figure out what is causing this.

Has anyone else had this problem? They're brand new brakes! It did recently rain here, could that have something to do with it? I'm going to try cleaning them really good but any advice or ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-02-2008, 03:04 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

Buy the better brand brake pads. That will help reduce noise. Also the make a silicone brake lube. Alot of time the brakes will be a little noisy or not work the greatest until the are broke in. Hope that helps.

Old 09-02-2008, 05:56 PM
bone33
Record Breaker

neon brakes make noise when they get wet or get moisture in there. you can try to lube the hardware with brake hardware lube (the stuff you put on the sliders) i use syl-glyde. use very little. also, make sure you install the brake adjuster hole plugs that come with the hardware kits, that will help keep moisture out.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:47 PM
kabuk1
Professional

I tried to get better pads, but they only carried one type of shoe for my car.

I'll try greasing them up. My boyfriend helped me do the brakes cause I'd never done drums before, and there's a very good chance he didn't put those little plugs back in X(

Quick Reply: Back brakes creak no matter WHAT I do, help...