1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Not familar with dodges.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 12:50 PM
b18a1ef
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I know this guy aint BS'in cause he is really a speed freak. He brought a beat up rusted Grand National to my dad and said make this thing haul *** and go fast and well...he did. Pro Streeted the thing, bigger turbo roll cage and everything else. This guy dont mess around. Plus he owns a manufacturing shop in PA that makes Corvette parts.

But I will eventually find a neon to drop this thing in and just beat the **** out of it.

Old 09-16-2008, 01:41 PM
red91RT
Veteran

If I might make a suggestion: The coupe P-body 5 speed cars are another 200lbs lighter...before you do any weight reduction. Might be an even more interesting project.

I've always been tempted to move my T-3 into a neon or a Sundance/Shadow coupe to really terrorize the audi's and bmw's etc around here but I can't quite bring myself to disembowel my spirit r/t.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:21 AM
b18a1ef

We really wanted to put it back in a mom and pop's 4 door neon. Just to mess with peoples heads. I already race my civic & its bare bones. No interior except the dash and 2 front seats. No panels no carpet no nothing. Its plumbed and wired for nitrous but I havent found anyone local that can fill the bottle. So to run a stock 1st gen neon with a turbo would be something different. We have thought of other vehicles to put it in but we really arent sure if we want to do that.

Old 09-23-2008, 05:11 PM
b18a1ef

I found out the place that built this motor and it is Weber Racing here in Ohio. I called them and they dont have the info in their system anymore cause it was done too long ago. So that is a lost cause but I will still tear it down a bit to see whats in this thing.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:43 PM
mmench
Captain

Originally Posted by SohcBigTurbo
you wouldn't neccesarily NEED upgraded axles. If it was intended for strip, then you can get into the 10's on factory neon axles. The main reason axles break is wheel hop and from going from full torque to no torque to full torque in miliseconds is what snaps stuff. I know a couple guys in the 11's w/ factory axles and one guy w/ a 10.8 pass with the stockers. I'm looking to go deep into the 11's on autozone lifetime's :P

If you take off the cam position sensor and the magnet, most aftermarket cams will have the grind number etched into the back of them.

What turbo does it have on it? did it have a return-style fuel system? Oh, and just get a megasuqirt to control it.....you'll be much happier
how??? im running stock block and trans on BFG D/R's on 10-11 pounds of boost and the first launch i did snapped my axle i hope to grab 12's outa this car once i get everything perfect but dam 10.8 on stockers i wanna know how lol

edit : they runnin auto's??

Old 12-05-2008, 06:28 PM
b18a1ef

Bringing back a slightly old thread.

Will the stock computer compensate for the turbo setup? Or will I need to have it programmed for my setup?

Where can I find a VIN # on the motor so I can find the year of the motor?

If I get a car that, lets say OBDI and the motor is OBDII, what needs to be changed in order for it to work correctly? And vise versa?

I have a guy looking for cars for me as we speak but I need to know if I should get one of the same year or if there are minor changes that need to take place to make it work.

I have an itchy trigger finger so to speak, mostly LEAD foot, and want to get this car ready for track season and find out what this car really can do. I just found out that this motor was last running at 12lbs of boost and was at 18lbs before it was tamed down and delivered to the guys niece.

I still need to make all the intercooler plumbing because they were smashed in the accident and cut the inner part of the bumper to fit the intercooler and swap out the tranny case cause the mount was broken off during the accident as well.

I will try and get pics of this setup and the car and the runs as well once I find a car. This will just basically be a D/D and track ***** and a lil bitch just shut those people up who want to f**k with us on the freeway. From all the stories I have been told, this is one bad lil bitch and I cant wait to see for myself.

Thanx in advance for your much needed responses.

Old 12-05-2008, 06:44 PM
12 volt
Record Breaker

OEM PCM needs a MAP clamp inorder for it not to see boost.

The engine does not have a VIN on it.

This will tell you most of the engine DIffs in the years of the neon
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...c-to-dohc.html

Old 12-05-2008, 07:29 PM
b18a1ef

Thanx for the link but im not swaping. I have a SOHC and am looking for a car with the same motor so I can take out that motor and replace with this one. Just looking for a donor car with the correct PCM to match.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:52 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

Any 95-99 neon will be an easy swap. All neons are OBD II, the difference is that in 95 they used a different PCM than the rest of the years, along with round pins on most of the sensors, (early 96 used round pins as well.) 95 also had the MAP sensor in a different location. Late 96-99 are pretty much the same, there were some plug differences on the wiring harnesses, but other than that they are the same.

Old 12-13-2008, 02:46 PM
b18a1ef

Thanx for the help. Seein as there is no vin, I will take pics of the motor and certain things and post them to help clarify what im working with. Just waiting on finding a car to put this in first. Once I find it then I will begin working on it to get ready for track season. Now lets say I find a car that is 95 and lets say the motor is 98, is there anything I need to change to make it work?

Quick Reply: Not familar with dodges.