1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Timing issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 03:53 PM
shawnster88
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing issues

My wife's car (98 Neon DOHC) quit the other day. The idle pulley broke and the timing was out of wack and it died. I got a new pulley and a new belt. I got the new belt on and got all the timing marks lined up and it still won't crank. When attempting to start evertime the engine turns over it will sputter but nothing else. I can tell the timing is still off. If the crank is at the TDC mark on the housing, is the #1 sparkplug at TDC everytime the crank is? Does everything have to be perfect before it will start? Also, I'm not sure if the valves are damaged or not. If they are it should still start but just run like dookie, right??? Thanks for any help.

shawn

Old 11-22-2008, 04:42 PM
12 volt
Record Breaker

valves have hit pistons. no compression means, it shouldnt run at all.

hopefully it doesnt look like this
Name:  valve_failure.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  18.7 KB

Old 11-22-2008, 05:22 PM
roush24

Yup +1 on the pistons hitting the valves. You are going to have to take the head off and have the valves replaced. Also be sure to replace your water pump as that is probably what caused the problem in the first place. They are only like $35-40 and thats cheap insurance that you won't have to do this again. Just from now on make sure you keep up with your timing belt as it will damage your head like this everytime.

Quick Reply: Timing issues