1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

painting interior Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 08:24 AM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One guy I know sanded everything down smooth, so there was no texture. Looked nice.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:27 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want smooth shoot it with high fill primer ... then lightly sand ... looks like fiberglass at 1/4 the cost

Old 01-20-2009, 12:47 PM
dtjackten
2nd gen neon peace keeper
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dont use duplicolor interior paint it sucks, i used regualar duplicolor paint, worked great for me.... but i also painted over fiber glass

Old 01-20-2009, 03:02 PM
GLXRustang
Professional

I'd us a paint sprayer with some black Urethane, but rattlecan can be made to look good. Take off your pieces, put in low dust, 70 degree room with vents, prep your surfaces, rough sand with 220 grit, wipe clean with thinner, and spray it on. Armorall will need lots of cleaning, wax is the enemy of a solid paint job.

For that smooth look you could sand the living hell out of it, or use a small amount of bondo to fill in the texture and sand down right to where you can start to see the old texture coming thru. Use the same prep work for bondo as well. If it works for plastic bumpers, I don't see why it couldn't work for NON flexing parts as well.

I will look up info for the fabric. I saw guys on MTV use lots of epoxy on fabric and then bondo it and sand it down for a smooth look. Does anyone know about this? It was on *cough (pimp my ride)

Old 01-20-2009, 03:06 PM
GLXRustang
Professional

One more thing, you'll be our guru on this, give some pics and proceedures once you do it, I've painted cars and trucks before externally but little on the inside. Good luck!

Old 01-20-2009, 06:08 PM
ajpranger
Professional

i am not planning on doing fabric i think i just leave that as is. i think that would be too complicated, i will be waiting till may or june most likely due to weather and no garage but i will probably get the stuff that i need now, seeing that my wife is expecting in july so june money will all go towards that. but i do appreciate all the input. i will post pictures as the progress takes place.

Quick Reply: painting interior Question