1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

painting interior Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 08:43 PM
ajpranger
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default painting interior Question

i am debating on painting my interior black with red highlights. 1 any recommendations on paint brand? 2. is there anything that legally we are not allowed to paint over, example, airbags? any other suggestions would be considered too thanks. i will probably do it this summer but just some thoughts floating around my head.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:00 PM
DOHCgarrett t3
Record Breaker

Hmm I am not one to paint interiors and i seen a lot of **** poor jobs, ( I know a lot of redneck people) the most inportant part of painting anything of course is prep-work.
Ensure that everything is clean and grease free use alcohol to clean pieces before priming and lightly sand between coats, just enough to knock off the gloss of the dried coats of paint and primer.
As for any specific brands of paint I do not know but i would try rustoleam.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:47 PM
ohioguru
Veteran

dye it, unless you are using a gun. most spray paints end up flaking off after time and looks like crap.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:54 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wish i could remember the name of the paint i used to use....i painted the interior on my first blue r/t...the whole inside was blue....the paint turned out great and after 4 years, never faded, chipped, or flaked....you could scratch a screw across it and nothing happen....
oh yeah..it wa called foliatech, not sure if thats how you spell it.....it used to cost $17 a can but was well worth it and now i dont know if anyone carries it...

i would not reccomend using the duplicolor interior paint....it sucks

for the interior, you can paint whatever you want..

just dont use regular spray paint....and if you have ever armoralled the interior, you might as well not even consider painting it...
armorall leaves a wax coating on everything that you cant take off with alcohol or paint thinner

Old 01-19-2009, 11:52 AM
dtjackten
2nd gen neon peace keeper

duplicolor is what i used looks good and never fades... make sure to clear it and that will help also

Old 01-19-2009, 06:01 PM
ajpranger
Professional

Originally Posted by spudsterier
i wish i could remember the name of the paint i used to use....i painted the interior on my first blue r/t...the whole inside was blue....the paint turned out great and after 4 years, never faded, chipped, or flaked....you could scratch a screw across it and nothing happen....
oh yeah..it wa called foliatech, not sure if thats how you spell it.....it used to cost $17 a can but was well worth it and now i dont know if anyone carries it...

i would not reccomend using the duplicolor interior paint....it sucks

for the interior, you can paint whatever you want..

just dont use regular spray paint....and if you have ever armoralled the interior, you might as well not even consider painting it...
armorall leaves a wax coating on everything that you cant take off with alcohol or paint thinner
hey spud thanks i found the paint you were talking about it is was folia-tec paint. thanks a lot i think that is what i will go with. what kind of prep work did you do. i am planning on washing everything down with alcohol. since it is interior and plastic i think sanding is not necessary, is that correct. thanks again everyone

Old 01-19-2009, 06:18 PM
spudsterier
Legend

no you wont need to sand it or anything...
for prep, i used the folia-tec foam cleaner....then painted it....then used their top coat..
worked absolutely perfect....

Old 01-19-2009, 07:02 PM
ajpranger
Professional

do you remember who you bought it from? i found a few people who sell it but want to buy from a reputable place

Old 01-19-2009, 09:34 PM
spudsterier
Legend

i always drove to the JCWhitney outlet store and picked it up there, but they stopped selling it

Old 01-19-2009, 09:57 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I really don't recomend it either , but several have insisted ...
Prep I used 3M Adhesive remover to clean everything ,
scrub with white scotchbrite pads
Then wipe down the surfaces
... I've used SEM Dye paint and even Krylon Fusion paint
use very light misting coats to start , and then keep adding light layers till it covers

Quick Reply: painting interior Question