1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Rear Suspension Woes

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 03:51 AM
oobical
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Rear Suspension Woes

I have a 95 Neon Highline SOHC Sedan, Stock Suspension, I have a knock that sounds like a body is in my trunk everytime I go over a bridge on the highway, the body sounds like it wants out when I turn a corner doing 30-35. I know this because it knocks, I removed my rear passengers, no change, I removed my subwoofer and amp, no change, spare tire, jack, no change. Carpeting, anything else in the trunk that could rattle, gone, no change. The biggest part is none of the highways are straight around here due to construction, so when you take a curve at 60 the car sways and tries to flip. What parts should I replace first? Also my budget calls for junkyard parts only, I do buy new bushings and such though.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:44 AM
vabear
Professional
Default Knock Knock

First, how good are you rear struts? Next I would opt for the front and rear sway bars(I know, if not an ACR there is no rear sway bar). Here is what I would do, start checking salvage yards for a Neon with front and rear sway bars, they would be on an R/T or ACR or any Neon that has been modified (these bars are simple bolt on pieces, in fact, all of the cars have pre-drilled holes for the rear bar). If you find the set and can afford it, look at how the rear bar is attached as it has a clamp device that fits on the rear struts. I put a set of these bars on my "98 Expresso and it was one of the best things I did to my car.

Old 01-24-2009, 02:34 PM
Nates_expresso
Professional

10>1 it's a broken rear strut mount. open your trunk, and bounce on the rear bumper. If it feels like there's no dampening (ie, the whole car bounces like a pogo stick), it's broken.

If you jack up the rear, you should beable to tell immeiatly what is wrong. One of the tires will sit lower then the other, and you'll see the broken strut mount.

New mounts are $34 per side, and are the same at both orielly auto parts, and Advance. Napa gets like $50 each
New struts are $60 each.

Nothing special, should take you a good afternoon if you've never done it before. Air tools are a freekin must or plan on spending a very long time under the car.

Mark the mounting locations of the lower mounting bolts or else you'll need an alignment afterwords.

Get a spring compresser. Rent one from the parts store. (this type http://www.02tii.com/images/2002/min...compressor.jpg )

You'll need a half inch drive spark plug socket (13/16ths) so you can grip the mounting nut, and tighten the inner 10mm one

Good luck,
~Nate

Old 01-25-2009, 09:25 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nates_expresso
10>1 it's a broken rear strut mount.
X2!
A common problem on the car.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:42 PM
streetracer88
All Star

yes im with you guys its def. strut mount i know because it happened to my car

Old 01-26-2009, 12:48 AM
DOHCgarrett t3
Record Breaker

X200 STRUT MOUNT, now you just have to figure out what side. and I would buy a strut mount new and not from a JY.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:50 AM
DOHCgarrett t3
Record Breaker

and for the rear springs you will not need a spring compressor. but what I HIGHLY recomend is an inpact wrench for the top bolt.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:28 PM
Nates_expresso
Professional

How could he remove the mount (without launching it into his face) if the spring isnt compressed?

~Nate

Quick Reply: Rear Suspension Woes