1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

CV Axle broke

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 08:29 PM
gangsta_money23
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CV Axle broke

So the cv axle broke well not really broke but got pulled out. its not damaged at all just got yanked out when my gf jumped a curb. heres a pic of the area so u can get an idea of ti. but im planning on replacing the cv axle unless the old one is ok to use. replacing sounds good though. any ideas/opinions??

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3080/...cbd78f.jpg?v=0

Old 01-28-2009, 08:51 PM
neoncrazy101
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

holy crap. replacing them is pretty easy. plus if you get one from Autozone, lifetime warranty. I've used the warranty like 2 times already lol. but man, how fast was she going? and have fun with the lower control arm.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:53 PM
gangsta_money23

she didnt tell me how fast she was going lol i know there easy to replace i had to do it in mine a while back. it just suprised me to have it pulled out instead of broken. the lower control arm doesnt look like its gonna be any fun. any tips?

Old 01-28-2009, 09:18 PM
Nates_expresso
Professional

Looks like your boots torn, or mabey that's just some fluid on the boot. If the boots arent cracked i'd leave it. If they're cracking they'll last about 6 months before they'll split and youll need to replace them. Since it's allready apart I'd most likely do it now. But it's your car. Make sure that circlip is on the end of the axle...

List of damage?
~Nate

Old 01-28-2009, 09:46 PM
neoncrazy101
Champion

I've never done a control arm, but I've heard their a PITA to get the bolts off. and the joint, one of my CV joints got stretched when taking the axle out, and got it all back together and everything seemed fine... till i started up the car and put it in gear... car didn't go anywhere and heard a loud explosion... ok not explosion but a loud pop. thought i killed the transmission or something. got under the car and my CV joint destroyed itself.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:55 PM
spudsterier
Legend

when replacing the lower control arm, your best frend is an impact wrench

Old 01-29-2009, 01:41 AM
DOHCgarrett t3
Record Breaker

hell yeah spud, break them bolts off

Old 01-29-2009, 08:30 AM
ryleynoyes
Veteran

wow... i'd also make sure your hub (where the brakes and all that attach to) is ok. the control arm isn't bad, but it's hard to get the back bushing to slide back in. just tap on the control arm on the part where the wheel hub sticks out (ok, kind of a HARD tap) to put it in place. hook up the sway bar last, too.

i didn't really have any problems with mine when i put new urethane bushings in. if you don't have to drive the car right away, i would suggest putting some in, since you'll have everything out anyway. and make sure to get it aligned!

Old 01-30-2009, 03:03 AM
gangsta_money23

its just water/ice/slush on the boot its not torn or anything. From the pic it does look ripped but in person its good. Looks like i get to have fun this weekend. when my axle broke bout a year ago on mine i didnt plan on fixing another one soon

Quick Reply: CV Axle broke