1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

whats your opinion of electric superchargers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 01:36 AM
dirt_trac_racer_80jr
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats your opinion of electric superchargers?

has anyone looked into the electric superchargers such as the e-ram or the force flow....i realize that they are not going to b as good as a turbo but im looking to put it on my race neon and technically were not allowd to use forced induction..but we run these special shows 3 or 4 times a year that its "run what ya brung" where the rules go out the window for a night... and when i was looking at them they arnt really noticable...unless u absolutly know wat ur looking at.. just looks like a cold air intake ...which the tech guys arent real up to par on these lil 4 bangers..they normally just run a compression check and every now and then they will take ur computer and send it somewhere to b checked..they supposedly make 8psi at lower rpms and 1psi at full throttle...which isnt much but itd help with coming out of the turns when the car is at lower rpms and accelerating...at least thats my opinion...but anyway give me ur thots on the idea of electric superchargers cuz they have caught my attention

Old 03-07-2009, 12:05 PM
neoncrazy101
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont waste your money. their just a way to take money from people.

Old 03-07-2009, 01:40 PM
dirt_trac_racer_80jr
Professional

well i saw a few dyno results of a 2.0L and they didnt look bad ...like i said earlier i realize that its not gonna b like a actual supercharger or a turbo but it can b easily hidden...i dont c y there wouldnt b some performance advantage

Old 03-07-2009, 02:13 PM
12 volt
Record Breaker

try it with a boost guage. if i didnt see anything i would think that it would be a more of a restriction than an air compressor. Seeing as most fans only increase the velocity instead of the pressure

Old 03-07-2009, 03:41 PM
sabin420
Captain

I see it as a complete waste of money. I seriously doubt you will see a noticeable power gain. it might actually hurt your upper rpm power.

Old 03-07-2009, 08:12 PM
moparborn
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like stated there is no compression of air with them,besides your vehicle already draws that much air at idle,they are useless.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:45 PM
Dazzellerr
Veteran

that is why they say you see 8psi at lower rpms. when the engine is not in WOT, it is not using all the air the "fan" is blowing out, but when in WOT, the engine actually needs more air coming into it than the fan can produce. that is where the resttriction comes into play mentioned above. now, you could take a really powerfull fan, say one that produces the same CFM as a 16g turbocharger and then it would be benefitial and efficient. however, if there were such fans going around that were small enough to not be noticed by tech's, they would be in almost every car because of their easy of installation. you would be better off using a MP ecu for the one night and switching it back to whatever you run, rather than wasting money on a fan.

Old 03-08-2009, 02:08 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

I read that those things spin at 9,000 rpms? a turbo spins at about 200,000 at 10psi. Just pull the fan out of the back of ur computer and use that. Same thing. Or just run a pipe in the car, and blow in it really hard. That may work better.

Old 03-08-2009, 05:06 PM
dirt_trac_racer_80jr
Professional

a 2.0 litre engine naturally draws about 200 CFM, the difference with the force flow is of over 800 CFM ( thats is copied right off force flows sight).....and the is a youtube video on that a guy just like u and i bench tests a few of them ....if u would watch that and let me know wat ya think.......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NncTM9DEf8Y

Old 03-08-2009, 05:13 PM
12 volt
Record Breaker

i doubt any of thows will give you boost.

Bernoulli would be spining in his grave

Quick Reply: whats your opinion of electric superchargers?