1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

air conditioner blower not working?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 06:54 PM
snunicycler
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air conditioner blower not working?

my a/c is cold, my heater is hot. but the air is not being blown out. my girlfriends car had a problem once and the mechanic said that a spring had come loose and the door was stuck shut. he did not charge her for it so i assume it is a relatively easy fix. i wonder if this could be the problem on my car. if it is... how do i do it? any other ideas? fuse maybe? thanks!

Old 04-20-2009, 09:24 PM
snunicycler
Rookie

ok, i checked my ac fuse by my door. it was blown. got new ones and when i put them in they blew immediatly. whats up?

Old 04-20-2009, 10:29 PM
moparborn
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may have a short.
If you can get to the connector at the fan unplug it and try another fuse,if it blows backtrack your wiring.
If it does not,check the fan.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:04 AM
snunicycler
Rookie

when you say to inplug the connector at the fan, you mean the blower motor? i cant find anything in my haynes or chilton about a fan other than radiator fan and stuff. where is it? passenger side? oh ya... what would a short look like? thanks

Old 04-21-2009, 12:35 PM
Altima_wb
Captain

well most likely its the blower motor... which will be on the passenger side under the dash someplace haven't delt with the on on this car yet so not for sure on the exact location... as for as what a short looks like... it will look like a bare or melted wire

Old 04-21-2009, 02:20 PM
snunicycler
Rookie

ok, that is where i thought i saw it once. it is under the passenger side dash. i disconnected it and replaced the fuse and it did not blow so i know that the problem is in my blower motor. thanks. i am about to check for shorts. would this be easier if i took the whole blower motor out? i will repost with my results. thanks again!

Old 04-21-2009, 02:36 PM
Altima_wb
Captain

if its the blower motor like you say its just time to pull it and replace it any parts store should have one

Old 04-22-2009, 12:24 AM
snunicycler
Rookie

o'reilly, auto zone, and pep boys all do not have one. they can order it though. at least its only a minor inconvenience not having an a/c. btw, the manuals dont cover much about the a/c. because certain things have to be done by a certified mechanic as per fed law. is this something i am allowed to do? it should not create any envoronmental problems as far as i know but i want to make sure.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:49 AM
bg1995redneon
Captain

I don't know how much you are prepared to spend, but most junkyards (onlline or local) will sell you a used blower motor for about 20 - 30 bucks. A new one can run upwards of $100 - 200 bucks.

As for disconnecting the freon lines - is it R-12 or R-135a? If it is R-12, it is illegal to vent that into the air - period - Federal law. It is required that you have someone who is licensed to handle R-12 recover it. Of course, someone would have to catch you doing it, etc. If it is R-135a, and it should be since you posted this into a Neon thread, it is not an ozone destroyer, but some states/localities have made it illegal too - you just have to check.

Here is what I suggest you do. Go to your local auto mechanic and ask if they will evacuate (suck out) your system and when you put it back together, fill it back up again (recover). If you get a good mechanic - they can do both for about 50 bucks.

I recommend this, because the best way to re-fill an AC system is to first pressurize it with air to see if it holds - to check for leaks. Most AC guys will add a line conditioner (oil) in with dye when they do this so that any leaks will be seen almost immediately. Then they put it into a vacuum and fill it with the proper amout of coolant. This requires special equipment that would be cost prohibitive to purchase.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:56 AM
bg1995redneon
Captain

I left out one big point. Air in the lines is the enemy of AC systems. Air causes the High side pressure to be too high and can blow out lines, cause seals to fail causing leaks, etc. That is why putting the system into a vacuum before you refill is so important. It also means that you can put the proper amount of coolant into the system at the proper PSI for maximum cool. I have done it both ways, and in the long run, I had less problems and better results when I let the AC guys do their part before and after I did my part.

Quick Reply: air conditioner blower not working?