1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

What does stock SOHC run?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 02:39 PM
Altima_wb
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what to back up the stock ratings of the motor? dude its all over this site and just about any other that the 2.0 dohc is rated from the factory at 150hp and 132lb-ft... same with the sohc is rated at 132 and 129lb-ft... as far as the 2.4 i'm not sure on the factory ratings and who needs to do a before and after dyno after removing a whole lot of rotational weight from the internals to prove that its going to FREE up some power its common sense... my comment about the 2.0 cams being bigger was made from the info in the 2.4 engine swap faq on here it says there that both cams are bigger so thats what i went with... even do okay the exhaust cam is the only one bigger still with the 2 mods it obviously gonna make the 2.4 a fair amount happier then a stock 2.4 no dyno sheet need to prove it will make more power... i'm not claiming its going to be throwing out an extra 50 hp... its going to be making a few extra hp deff worth the lil bit of extra effort for before droping the engine in...

Old 06-02-2009, 02:44 PM
Altima_wb
Captain

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...ake-a-nap.html

here is the link to the 2.4 swap info its a good read you should deff take the time to read it even if your not planing a 2.4 swap its still a lot of good basic info...

Old 06-02-2009, 03:44 PM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

The internals are not "weighed down" by the balance shafts. The balance shafts are in a girdle bolted to the block. The chain turns them. That is it. Would have taken pics when I did mine if the cam was here. And considering the long stroke of the 2.4L, it moves write well regardless. Why do a before and after test? That is common sense, as you said earlier. You already said you were not sure on the specs of a 2.4L engine, so why are you defending yourself when I responded on the subject? sabin420 corrected me. Prevents the spread of mis information. I never said it was a crap move. Just that both cams are not needed, to save some work of messing with the magnet. The 2.0L dohc neon does not make 150hp either. More like 146. The 2G magnum makes a true 150hp, and is heavier.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:03 PM
Altima_wb
Captain

it takes hp to turn those balance shafts and a fair amount of it.... just like it takes hp to turn a water pump, alternator, ac.... thats why under drive pulleys are a very popular mod, along with other engine having electric water pumps and stuff like that... it takes a fair amount of hp to turn all that stuff... taking your balance shafts out is like running at the drag strip with your AC off... and leaving them in is kinda like running with your AC running.... its just common sense the less your engine is having to turn, (accessories, or balance shafts) the more hp its going to put down at the wheels, its the same for every engine... its also why its very common for 4g63 guys to remove their balance shafts, its the same for any engine... and as far as the dohc not making 150 hp... i'm just going what its rated at from the factory which is 150hp and 132lb-ft... So where are you coming up with this only making 146? and like i said i was just going by the 2.4 swap info which seems to be pretty decent info.. so if the intake cam is the same then its the same no harm

Old 06-06-2009, 12:46 PM
Altima_wb
Captain

i like how you say i post things without having information to back stuff up but when you yourself use information to bash my post in another thread you fail to look further into the thread that you took that information from and read what it says about the 2.0 and 2.4 DOHC camshafts....
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/members...-dohccams.html

that info obviously proves that BOTH the intake and the exhaust cams are far different between the 2.0 and 2.4 engines.... so next time you bash me make sure you got your info right...

Old 06-06-2009, 04:24 PM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Altima_wb

that info obviously proves that BOTH the intake and the exhaust cams are far different between the 2.0 and 2.4 engines.... so next time you bash me make sure you got your info right...
When did I say they were the same?

Old 06-06-2009, 07:06 PM
Altima_wb
Captain

Originally Posted by Ghost Neon 2
Do you have dyno sheets to back this up? www.allpar.com is my source of info here. Removing balance shafts has never been proven in a before and after comparison to do anything. You only need to swap the exhaust cams. The intake cam is the same between the 2.0L dohc head and 2.4L dohc head.
^^^^^^right there

Old 06-06-2009, 07:50 PM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

Are you slow? I was talking about the intake cam ONLY. Just the same, how do you knwo they are not the same? Your friends have not done this swap, so where are you getting your info this time?

Last edited by Ghost Neon 2; 06-06-2009 at 07:56 PM.
Old 06-06-2009, 07:57 PM
Nates_expresso
Professional
Old 06-06-2009, 07:59 PM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

He does not know how. He has spent the last 9 yrs doing cam research.

Quick Reply: What does stock SOHC run?