1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Timing question

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 07:48 PM
1st Gen
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing question

Does the factory time an engine for gas millage? Is that why people go to such lengths to adjust their time for better performance? I would think performance and millage would go hand in hand but I guess I'm mistaken.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:50 PM
Altima_wb
Captain

there are several things that are figured for the stock timing... one is like your thinking economy, but you also have emissions, grade of fuel, reliability of the engine... most people don't beat on their cars and just want them to last... so car companies take this into consideration and usually have the timing set a lil on the reserve side... but yeah adding a lil timing can help milage as long as you keep your foot out of it and drive nice just like most mods like header, exhaust, intake, Underdrive pulley... they will all help as long as you can drive nice and keep your foot out of it...

Old 05-30-2009, 11:47 PM
sabin420
Captain

nah...can't do that...i give in to temptation too easy and that pedal hit's the floor...lol

Old 05-31-2009, 04:42 PM
Altima_wb
Captain

I have the same issue... lol its been extremely hard for me to learn how to drive the car very nicely unless i'm at a track... I've gotten pretty good except for lil stoplight fun once and a while lol...

Old 06-04-2009, 12:04 PM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

Timing and tuning are the key to w well running engine. Realistically, we should all start off with adjustable gears and/or a degree wheel. This what you can insure the engine is a stable platform, and all additions (bolt ons) will further enhance this.
As far as fuel efficiency balancing with performance, what Altima said was dead on. Not everyone drives the same way, so cars are tuned toward the "safe" side. There are also, other adjustments to increase fuel effieciency, therefore boosting performance.

Print this out and have fun.

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/i...dcdfbe42a2.jpg

Old 06-04-2009, 12:36 PM
1st Gen
Professional

I have a buddy that put together a pnp MS for the Protege. Since I own a BPT powered Pro, this seems like a great upgrade. From the information I get here, timing gears would be a nice compliment.

Might not, not sure.

Last edited by 1st Gen; 06-04-2009 at 12:57 PM.
Old 06-06-2009, 11:39 PM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 1st Gen
I have a buddy that put together a pnp MS for the Protege. Since I own a BPT powered Pro, this seems like a great upgrade. From the information I get here, timing gears would be a nice compliment.

Might not, not sure.
MS wousl be a great asset for any engine at any stage. Factory timing is like training wheels. You want more, you have to go beyond the way that computer thinks. MS can do that. How much do you know about cars?

Old 06-07-2009, 12:52 AM
1st Gen
Professional

Originally Posted by Ghost Neon 2
How much do you know about cars?
That's like asking how much do I know about computers. I can build them and know compatibility a chief issue if you want everything to work right. I know targeting your application is the best money savings strategy you can have. As for just how everything works, I'm a little vague.

I'm a little better with cars though since I've been working on them for a bit longer. Dad was a mechanic which also helps.

Old 06-07-2009, 01:05 AM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

Then you know well a car is only as good as its tune. There are ways to increase milage and efficiency thru tuning. There are menthods in head porting i have learned from older guys over the years, that I am looking to put into effect on neon heads very soon.

As for timing. I'd set the your cam(s) and crank pulley to TDC using a degree wheel.

Quick Reply: Timing question