1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

my 2.4 is detonating (spark knock)

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 11:54 PM
justinsanders
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my 2.4 is detonating (spark knock)

im almost positive it is. my narrow band stays all the way in the lean position and i hear a slight clicking noise from the engine it sounds almost exactly like an exhaust leak. when i give it more gas it gets louder and more agressive. how damageing is it. im running 93 all the time. i dont understand y its running so lean i have 24lb injectors and the 58 psi fpr. it runs super lean even before it gets into boost. im about to do the spool boy mod but i still dont get y its running so lean when still in vacuum. ill be getting colder spark plugs tomorrow.

the bottom end is fully built. i mean FULLY. its a 2.4 bored 20 over eagle rods, 8:1 ross pistons. (i had to send ross a mold of the block and they made me the pistons matched to the block) and the pistons are like ceramic coated and there supposed to be really nice pistons. crank is fully balanced and balanceing shafts removed. head gasket is brand new. less than a week old.

will i be alright to drive it very lightly for the next week till my fpr and fmu get here cuz i ordered them yesterday.

Old 08-19-2009, 02:29 AM
Altima_wb
Captain

if its pinging that bad you deff should not drive it at all...don't matter how nice the pistons are with that much pinging you destroy the pistons quick....

Old 08-19-2009, 11:11 AM
justinsanders
Captain

well yea i agree with ya and its been doing it for a while now. but when i did my head gasket the other day i realized that when i was turning the motor over by hand with the head off i noticed that the piston on cylinder 3 and 4 were moving back and forth when i turned the crank pully back and forth. cylinder 1 and 2 werent. however i did a compression test and i have 120 psi on all 4 cylinders after about 2-3 seconds of turnin the motor over. im just wondering if i blew the piston rings on 3 and 4. but it dont make sense cuz it has great compression.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:40 PM
12 volt
Record Breaker

you need to be using a Rising Rate fuel pressure Regulator.

Old 08-20-2009, 03:43 AM
Altima_wb
Captain

Originally Posted by 12 volt
you need to be using a Rising Rate fuel pressure Regulator.
that don't explain why he don't have enough fuel when hes in vacuum and not boost... i could understand why it would be doing it when under boost but seen as its doing it while under vacuum hes deff still has a fuel issue that is going to need more then just a rrfpr...

Old 08-20-2009, 02:20 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

So your running lean under normal conditions, and not lean under boost? If anything you should be running rich at idle and normal condition's because you have the 58psi reg and the 24 injectors. I would buy a wide band first, then I would buy a rising rate regulator to adjust your fuel pressure and rate of gain, then you can tune your problem out. What fuel system are you running? And No I would not drive the car if you have a fuel problem, it could cause problems rich or lean.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:33 PM
justinsanders
Captain

yes in vacuum it runs super lean. i dont understand y either. however it blows blue smoke when i give it gas. thats oil right? well anyway i just got my 12:1 fmu in im just waiting on the adjustable fpr. im hopefully getting srt stage 1's off my friends srt4 and that should help. but maybe its not detonating im almost positive it is tho. it sounds like the valves clicking all of them but i kno thats not the case. i just got some bkr9eix plugs which are 3 ranges colder than stock yes 3 ranges. cuz i just pulled out the iridiums out that i bought for the car and they were bkr6eix and now i have 9s gapped at 27 thousandths of an inch. but what exactly does spark knock sound like

Old 08-27-2009, 02:26 AM
Altima_wb
Captain

yes blue smoke is deff oil burning... but as far as the sound of spark knock i really can't come up with a good way to describe it... the colder plugs will deff help... but you shouldn't be having this much issue with it running lean at idle...

Quick Reply: my 2.4 is detonating (spark knock)