1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

1st gen gauge cluster repair

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 01:46 PM
mac68
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More of the same, or different?

I was so glad to find this thread. I seem to have some of the same issues...speedometer, gas gauge, blinker and brake light, sometimes electric window works-sometimes not, etc. The most annoying problem is that when I let this car sit for 3 or 4 days the battery dies, and last time it was just a day before it died. My sunroof hasn't worked for years (its stuck shut) and my after-market CD changer in trunk doesn't work sometimes either, so I originally was wondering if one of these two things was causing a draw to the battery. I was going to try disconnecting those two things since I don't use them anyway. As I am mechanically and electrically challenged I am wondering if the soldering has anything to do with the battery dying, or if I may be looking at two separate problems here. (My son looked at my fuses a couple of weekends ago and he said they looked "burnt" and that he had never seen fuses look so bad). Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions they would be much appreciated so I could get my little Neon up and zipping around again!

Old 06-07-2011, 01:52 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mac68, your battery dying shouldn't have anything to do with the cluster. I would look for a light that you are leaving on in either the cabin of the car, hood, trunk or glovebox. Maybe your alternator isn't charging the battery as well. Blown fuses are results or shorting, so you would have to trace wires and look for any bare wires that may be rubbing and grounding out.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:19 PM
HawgDaddy

Just removed cluster and resoldered while at work at the fire station. Start to finish was under 45 minutes. It was that simple. Only had to remove the upper portion of the dash. Was able to reach all fo the screws there. Soldering was a breeze with a pencil type iron (approx. $7 Harbor Freight on sale). I removed the idiot lights before starting although I see where some pics show leaving them in. I also watched this youtube video prior making it easier. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtwnsPmkX1M Also, for those not sure...to remove the upper portion of the dash, just grab on one side at a time where upper dash meets door. Grab the lip and lift up gently and move across dash doing the same. It lifts out easily. Good luck. Seems like a good fix and cheap. If it doesn't work, you at least know the quick way to remove the dash/cluster for replacement. I found some on ebay fairly inexpensive.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:18 PM
Juice11

Great thread. I just bought a 1995 Neon, for my "to an fro" work car. The gauges were all crazy. Pulled the cluster and reflowed the pin connections and it works great. Thanks to everyone who added photos, videos, tips...etc.

Old 07-15-2012, 06:03 PM
Philjamin

Hey, I never soldered before, what type of soldering gun do I get? How many wattage, etc? There are hundreds on Ebay, so any suggestions would be hugely appreciated.

Old 07-15-2012, 06:12 PM
das2123
Legend

Originally Posted by Philjamin
Hey, I never soldered before, what type of soldering gun do I get? How many wattage, etc? There are hundreds on Ebay, so any suggestions would be hugely appreciated.
You won't be truly soldering. You are just adding heat to change the color.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:14 PM
Philjamin

Originally Posted by das2123
You won't be truly soldering. You are just adding heat to change the color.
Thanks smart ***. Get a life and stop trying to be a bad ***!

Old 07-16-2012, 06:27 PM
das2123
Legend

No one is being a smart ***. You just simply touch the tip of the soldering iron to the points shown in the pic and the video. You will only apply enough heat to change the color of the pic, its happens very quickly. If it doesn't work, then you would need to add solder.

ps. I do have a life and part of it consists of helping unknowing people fix issues with their neons on forums such as these.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:17 AM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

To funny. But not very nice thing to say when someone is trying to help.

Old 06-27-2015, 04:59 PM
jman8488
Default dodge

I replaced both speed sensors and cluster still no speedometer. I changed brakes then speedometer quit working. can you help me figure it out

Quick Reply: 1st gen gauge cluster repair