1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

99 plymouth cranks but wont start

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 10:49 PM
jontherobot
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 plymouth cranks but wont start

I just bought a 99 plymouth neon atx sohc When I bought it they had to jump it to get it started. I bought a new battery put it in and it wouldnt start still until I jumped it I drove it for a couple days than it shut down on the freeway I towed it home and the tow truck driver told me it was the fuel pump. The gauges were acting erratic so I think I just ran out of fuel. I put fuel in it got the battery tested it was bad I changed the wiring harness and cleaned all the connections and the car will crank but not turn over I can hear the fuel pump when I turn the key and how do I check for sparks any ideas thak you for your help

Old 11-07-2009, 10:32 AM
1slowNeon

I would for starters get a scanner and see what if any codes come up.. Make sure u are getting enough fuel pressure.. make sure ur getting fuel, check all relays and fuses, test the ECM which can be done by autozone or advance auto and make sure ur getting spark. Did the car have any major engine work done recently as in maybe timing belt or head gasket? Pull the valve cover off or the cam sensor and make sure the cam is spinning when cranking it over. These are ideas I was given when my Neon would not start and passed every possible test. Then found the cam was not turning when cranking here to find out I sheared the cam gear alignment pin. I replaced the camshaft and properly torqued it now the car runs great.

Old 11-07-2009, 11:42 PM
jontherobot

will the scanner show codes the check engine light procedure wont? If the car ran out of gas is the fuel pump toast? I can hear the fuel pump when I turn the key for a second than it shuts off I can smell fuel in the exhaust

Old 11-08-2009, 10:20 PM
1slowNeon

Using an OBD II scanner will give you more details if it finds a code and tell you a more accurate answer on what could be the problem. If you ran out of gas it will not cause the fuel pump to go bad. I would check the fuel pump relay make sure that's not bad. Also get a fuel pressure guage make sure you are getting enough fuel psi.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:47 PM
jontherobot

pulled the fuel delivery line and no fuel cranked the car with it off and no fuel that means pump is bad right

Old 11-09-2009, 09:57 AM
bg1995redneon
Captain

Not necessarily. If the Fuel Pump relay or the Auto Shutdown Relay are bad (or not kicking in due to other errors), you won't get any fuel from the fuel pump. Most likely, it is the fuel pump though. Replace the internal fuel filter while you are at it - but I think a new one comes with a new filter too - as a kit.

You said you put in a new battery and then found later that the battery was bad and you replaced the wiring harness and put in a new battery. Sounds like you had something shorted out - big time.

I hope your PCM didn't get fried too. The charging system controls for a Neon runs thru the PCM too, so if something were shorting out, it could have damaged the PCM.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:16 AM
thecause17
Veteran

It sounds to me like it has nothing to do with your fuel system. If you're smelling fuel in the exhaust, and hearing the fuel pump, then you're obviously getting fuel to the engine, and apparently flooding the engine. Have you checked yet if you have spark? You can go buy a spark tester which is basically a spark plug with a clip that you clip to the chassis of the car to ground it, You'll be able to see the arching on the tester while cranking the engine if you have spark. I have one, works great. If you dno't want to go buy one, you can use a regular spark plug as well, but you still have to ground the part of the plug that normally screws into the head. If you don't have spark, my bet is a bad ignition coil. About $90 or so to replace new. I have a spare in the garage if that's what it ends up being and you're interested.

Edit: I also read that you pulled you're line and have no fuel, but in the earlier post you said you could hear the pump and smell fuel? Where did you pull the line from?

Last edited by thecause17; 11-09-2009 at 11:20 AM.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:16 PM
jontherobot

i have spark and from the fuel rail on the passenger side

Quick Reply: 99 plymouth cranks but wont start