1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Shift limits?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 10:11 AM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Altima_wb
I know but there are lots of others who don't seem to get that point...they seem to think that just cause the car isn't making more power with a higher redline means that the car isn't any faster when in most cases just cause when you shift at the higher point your closer to the powerband so it does actually make you faster... not saying thats always the case but a lot of the time it is... If it was pointless to rev these engines farther even in stock form mopar wouldn't have raised the rev limiter in the mopar performance pcm... that pcm was designed to work with either stock or modded engines...... but oh well just means more people i can beat at the strip

Anyone have a picture of a dyno chart of a car revving past it's powerband and still making power, please post it. If a sohc neon with "x" of mods makes power until 7300 rpm, then that is it. It will not continue to make power until 7600. It can rev that high (maybe), but it is just making noise. That is what a powerband does. It goes up, and will come down if you breach its limitation. The comment that ottoretto tune his car on the fly and saw a 100 rpm gain of power is interesting to say the least. Perhaps ottoretto meant 1000 rpm. Not sure. Waiting on proof there.

As for raising the rev limiter, what good if you raise the rev limiter to 9000 rpms if you do not have the modifications to make power up there? That makes no sense. The only time accelerating paste the preset rev limiter makes sense, is to keep you in your powerband after you shift. And that is maybe 200-300rpms of difference. The mopar pcm is a tool used to take advantage of other engine modifications. It is not a free pass to rev until the engine stops you, nor is it a promise from dodge that you will make power until you cannot rev anymore. That is just poor knowledge. If that were true, the only modification needed would a rev setting of infinity, because by your statements, you can make power beyond the point where power is not made (i.e. the end of a powerband).

Unless you are bracket racing, what is the point of taking a stock neon to the strip? Or are you referring to street racing?

Old 12-01-2009, 09:33 PM
ottoretto
Professional

im refering about street racing... that really true what u say about put the rev limitation over the power band, cuz there just noise... u dont exactly need internals mod to get higher rpms, i mean if u improve ur spark timing the car runs better as the mopar pcm work, a stock dohc can rev really high and not loosing much power, cuz can pull the engine at 7500 on 1st, 2nd, 3th and 4th, that really good, but u also need engine balance, valve springs and other things, what for? the engine runs smothly, without vibration that can destroy the engine!... ghost neon i think u dont believe in what i say, how many neons did u build up?? u must have really experience!

Old 12-02-2009, 12:00 PM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

What I believe is irrelevant. I asked you to post proof of gaining more power over the span of 100 rpm's, like you said you did through timing adjustment. Where is it? The engine is already balanced. The stock parts do the job. If you really want to lower the rotational mass, and increase functionality, crower valve springs and titanium retainers, lightweight ferrea valves, adjustable timing gears, BLE lash adjuster, and 2.7L rockers. Far less rotational mass and some of the best products on the market, in the right hands will wake up any model dohc neon.

How many neon I have built does not matter. Quantity does not equal quality, any more than a rev limiter equals a power band. Still waiting on your "proof."

Old 12-02-2009, 01:01 PM
ottoretto
Professional

dont worry bro! i will, i think u dont believe, its cool bro ill make u a proof,... btw the engine never come balanced or totally, there its a range, for example the neon come balanced to 8200 rpm more than that and u will destroy the crankshaft shells... the crank pulley never have the same wheigth and other stuff, dont worry ill send ya the proof about it!

Old 12-02-2009, 01:07 PM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

It's not that I do not believe you, but you are quoting a gain over the span of 100rpm. That is such a small range it does not matter. You make is sound like a big deal, so I asked for the proof you said you had days ago. All in all, it will be a small gain not worth the effort put forth. As for the 8200 rpm limit, few cars are built to rev that high. Nor do they need to, as this is far beyond the aforementioned power band. What does the crank pulley have to do with anything? The crank is internally balanced.

Old 12-02-2009, 03:32 PM
Altima_wb
Captain

and yet ghostneon goes right back and proves exactly what i said i never said that reving past the powerband makes more power... if fact i said the opposite i said you want to rev high so when you up shift you drop the rpms INTO the powerband instead of far below it like you would if you shifted while you were still in the powerband.... dude for the final time read what i typed before you go off and rant yous stupid bs why don't you just go back to scaming people like you did on neons.org

Last edited by Altima_wb; 12-03-2009 at 02:45 PM. Reason: cause i didn't preread it and my mind was moving faster then my fingers
Old 12-03-2009, 09:21 AM
ottoretto
Professional

SORRY!!! scamming people??? are you crazy!!!! how i can do that if i dont live in usa, and if i did tell me how?? i wanna see the topic before u start talk bull****!... ghost neon, the crank is not totally balanced, u can run ur car at 8200 but the shells will resist like 10 races, and i have proof, my friend rev his car at 8k, and need to rebiuld the engine every 4 months or 8 races, the car had pistons wiseco, eagle rods, and few things more!

Old 12-03-2009, 02:44 PM
Altima_wb
Captain

no not you dude sorry it was towards ghostneon... hes just another guy that out there to get people he'll be around for a while make some good sales and make people happy and then he'll get a bunch of people to buy stuff from him and then scam it out of them by sending them junk or only half of what they wanted or nothing at all hit up neons.org and do a search for ghostneon you'll see the issues i have with him.... Don't worry man i believe you lol there is a reason that the revlimits on the aftermarket pcm are higher then stock one for making more power when you have supporting mods and 2 just to make the car quicker when your racing.... and like you said the stock parts maybe balanced from the factory but if the crank pulley has been changed or the flywheel or clutch has been changed then it all needs to be rebalanced... also the factory balance job isn't to the spec that a decent performance machine shop would balance it to.... there is always room for improvement.....

Last edited by Altima_wb; 12-03-2009 at 02:48 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:25 PM
ottoretto
Professional

Originally Posted by Altima_wb
no not you dude sorry it was towards ghostneon... hes just another guy that out there to get people he'll be around for a while make some good sales and make people happy and then he'll get a bunch of people to buy stuff from him and then scam it out of them by sending them junk or only half of what they wanted or nothing at all hit up neons.org and do a search for ghostneon you'll see the issues i have with him.... Don't worry man i believe you lol there is a reason that the revlimits on the aftermarket pcm are higher then stock one for making more power when you have supporting mods and 2 just to make the car quicker when your racing.... and like you said the stock parts maybe balanced from the factory but if the crank pulley has been changed or the flywheel or clutch has been changed then it all needs to be rebalanced... also the factory balance job isn't to the spec that a decent performance machine shop would balance it to.... there is always room for improvement.....
ok bro think what ever u want, if u got enough acknowledge to understand what this forum say, read it and look who are me!... i dont sell stuff cuz here we cant get that kind of things, im no from mexico im from venezuela and we cant import that stuff as u think!... i just cant believe that! well its in ur hands believe what u want!... sell stuff, scam people, what else, drug dealer, hitman!!!

Old 12-03-2009, 07:26 PM
ottoretto
Professional

show the issues, show me! i want prove about thaT

Quick Reply: Shift limits?