1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Shift limits?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 03:45 AM
ohioguru
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look I can understand the higher rev shifting. Theory makes sense. But really only way to to prove this would be a dyno chart. So how bout someone gets one.

Old 12-10-2009, 03:58 AM
ohioguru
Veteran

Just to follow up if the motor loses power after the red line depending on loss it might not make a difference. If you lose enough it won't matter if your closer to the power band. It would be just be harder on your motor with no performance gain.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:52 PM
Nuklhed074
Veteran

yes and 100 or 1000 its still stupid to think your making more power or going faster or mopar would have said peak rpm is 6800 instead of 6700 dont you think engineers know wtf their talking about? or you think their just like "oh we will rob these guys of 100 rpm of secret power and only the super smart will figure it out get a dyno chart and ill bow down to you.!

Old 12-14-2009, 08:56 PM
ohioguru
Veteran

no its not that the car will make more power....if it holds power for a extra 100 rpm its better than shifting down to less power and puts you higher up in the power band......plus they werent thinking these would be race cars lol .....still no signs of dyno charts to prove either argument

Old 12-15-2009, 12:06 AM
Nuklhed074
Veteran

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...US352%26um%3D1
and enlarge it. has nothing to do with neons but shows that on a dyno peak power is hit.... and loss begins..and yes even at a meager 100 rpm maybr between 1-5 hp but that is still a loss resulting in wasted time. if you were to shift you would be right in the band for the next gear. the longer you stay in that gear, it will only make the next powerband shorter resulting in a shift, that equals a loss in time

Old 12-15-2009, 03:03 AM
ohioguru
Veteran

on't be shorter. Your coming in at higher revs and leaving at higher revs. And bands build power. Its not all there so the higher you come in the more power your coming into. And read my comments before. It explains what a dyno will tell you. Its physics.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:48 PM
Nuklhed074
Veteran

the band is only so long. so the band will be shorter and i posted a dyno

Old 12-17-2009, 05:31 AM
estneon
Record Breaker

i dont offten get to say this but im with the nucklehead lol...why dont you guys just race and see who can shift better? lol a car has a peak but most people cant hit it...it dosn't take a idiot to relise you can under shift and over shift from the peak...higher revs dont mean anything... you can rev to infinty...dons't mean thats the right spot...lets dumb it down...if you cars ''peak'' shift point is 8 you dont go 7 or 9 you go 8 other wise you would lose power if your gonna miss its better to under shift imo...it differs on cars though i mean some would be a 5 some would be a 9 but you dont go over.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:22 AM
bg1995redneon
Captain

How about remembering the fact that not every car is built EXACTLY the same? You can take two identical Neons off the same assembly line (even built at the same time built back to back) that have the same exact parts and BOTH of them can have different shift points that will achieve the maximum power. Yes, you can get close, but there is no way to definitively nail down the EXACT best shift point on a car - EVER! It seems to me that that is what you guys are trying to nail down, and I can tell you now to forget it!

This is partly due to the parts themselves that make up a car (the entire car, not just the engine) only having to be within a design tolerance range and because of this variance, you CANNOT DEFINITIVELY say that point X is THE shift point across the board for this gear or that gear. You also have to factor in oh so many other variants as well - temperature, humidity, altitude, type of gas, type of tires, suspension, age of components, etc. etc. etc. Why the heck do you guys think that there are NASCAR ENGINEERS (not just mechanics, but actual ENGINEERS) who take down all this data each and every time a car is setup and run on a track and for EACH track?! Why do you think they have so damn many telemetry antennas on the car? They don't do this "just because"! They do it BECAUSE it matters! They also track WHO is driving the car too! Again, why? Because it matters! I have even seen them weigh the driver in full gear BEFORE he gets into the car for crying out loud!

Now, lets confuse the frakking issue even more! Let's add mods to the mix! Yea! Now we have made the solution to the problem even WORSE!

Guys! Give it a friggin rest already! The BEST shift point is one where both the car and the driver are comfortable and in control and made after many, many, runs in the car - over a long time. It takes BOTH to the do the job right and to get the right solution for THAT TIME and THAT TIME alone! Hell, if it were just a matter of hitting the optimum shift point each and every time and holding the frakking steering wheel straight - then every person could be a racer - and we all know this is pure BS!

Old 12-21-2009, 09:43 PM
Nuklhed074
Veteran

^above is true but an average says that peak is x amout of rpms hes sayin he can do 100rpms more and make more power and i called b.s.

Quick Reply: Shift limits?