1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

neon horsepower

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005 | 11:15 AM
racincharger
Default neon horsepower

building a 2.0 neon race car and i need some info. like to find a good cam but money is low .i've heard of a magnum cam but where can i price it? mopar performance has one for 140. 4hp increase. i would like to get an ecu underdrive pulley bigger throttlebody can anyone help

Old 04-18-2005 | 06:32 AM
RadarLove
Record Breaker
Default RE: neon horsepower

http://pages.cthome.net/rader/disclaimer.html

Start with a realistic goal, develop a plan, develop a budget plus an "oops" fund, stick to it...

The Magnum cam was available in 2001-up Neon R/T's and ACR's. The 2001 had a slightly more aggressive profile than the 2002-up. They are often compared to the Crane 012 and 010 grinds respectively. Finding the cam on its own is tough, the dealer list is somewhere around $250 last I checked. The comparable Crane versions should run $150 if you look around.

The 4 HP Mopar cam is only for '96-up regular Neons (non-Magnum). The stock '95 cam provides the same gains (yes, that means the '96-up Neons only have 128 HP, not 132 as advertised). Mopar also sells a more aggressive cam, very similar to the 2002-up Magnum grind and NOT meant for use in the 2001 Magnum (same thing, drops HP by 4 or so between 2001 and 2002...).

UDP's are pretty much the same as long as you are buying from a reputable dealer. Howell Automotive (AFX), Modern Performance (MPX), Unorthodox Racing (UR), and Cosmo all provide nice products at decent prices (UR being the priciest, Cosmo the least). All provide roughly the same gains when comparing street vs. street versions (with accessory belt) or race vs. race versions (no power steering or a/c).

Mopar and AFX make drop-in replacement PCM's for most Neons. Visit Howell's site to see what your options are. You can usually pick up used Mopar PCM's for $150 or less.

If you have a MTX currently, the ATX TB is a wirthwhile upgrade. 52mm vs. 49mm. Might want to swap over the spring and cam (cable connection) from the MTX TB unless you like a jumpy car. If your handy with a Dremel, you could do a little work to a 56/60mm Jeep TB (late-90 6-cylinders) and save some money that way.

You could also consider the ghetts 3.0L intake - simply the intake tube off a Caravan, etc. 3.0L engine with a cone filter on it - instant DIY cold air intake.

If you have a SOHC, any decent muffler would be an improvement.

Best of luck!

Old 04-19-2005 | 02:55 AM
casper
Legend

modernperformance.com, howellautomotive.com

Old 04-20-2005 | 05:37 PM
ClearD
Professional

so...would it be possible to swap the cam from a 95 into my 98? I used to own a 95, and i DO notice a small power decrease in my new one I actually liked the 95 better, I think, even though it had the infamous oil leak...

Old 04-21-2005 | 12:37 PM
RadarLove
Record Breaker

It's certainly possible to swap the cam over. A bit more trouble than it's worth for just 4 HP though... If you happen to have a '95 cam standing by and you happen to be pulling the head off anyways, then sure. Otherwise, it makes more sense to get a spare head and swap the whole thing over with a better cam and upgraded valve springs.

Old 04-21-2005 | 01:25 PM
ClearD
Professional

hmmm....interesting idea...how much do you think I could get a spare head for at say...a junkyard or something? and, wouldn't that be complicated as well? I like taking my car apart, but I've never taken the head off of it yet. I guess the most I've done is removed the oil pan to replace the gasket....but, 4 HP is something I think my neon needs (lol)

Old 04-24-2005 | 01:39 AM
RadarLove
Record Breaker

Junkyards don't usually carry just the heads, but you can find them from time-to-time for well under $200 (about the same price you'd pay for a whole engine...). I've seen the Magnum heads go for $250-300, often including the intake and exhaust manifolds if you ask nicely... If you hit the For Sale boards at neons.org, you can find a head more in the $50-100 range.

If you've already got the head off (or a spare head), you can put in Magnum valve springs easily enough for $125 or so (you don't need titanium retainers...), and the Crane 012 grind or the 2001 Magnum cam for $250 new ($150 used) and get closer to a 10-12 HP gain over what you have now. If you find someone with the Comp Cams smaller grind, you can get almost 10 HP without having to change valvesprings.

Head swaps are more involved than whole engine swaps, in my opinion. You have to take off the manifolds (intake and exhaust), plus various other tubing and wiring for clearance, just like for the engine. Plus you have to take off the timing belt, which is a good afternoon+ job on its own. I always recommend to take the head in to be checked for level (aluminum more likely to warp than cast iron...), so that could add some time if you need to have the head decked. New head gasket, new head bolts, might as well do the timing belt, water pump, and tensioner while you're in there... Like I said, more involved...

While you're at it, you might want to consider swapping trannies to an mtx if you're looking for more power. Expect 10+ to the wheels from that swap alone... And no, I'm not kidding..

Old 04-25-2005 | 01:31 PM
ClearD
Professional

wow!

Old 04-29-2005 | 09:57 PM
98Neon4Door
Professional

I would go with modern over howell just because I haven't had good luck with howell answering any questions. But modern seems to be real quick and good.

Old 05-06-2005 | 09:12 PM
highrevr/tflea
Champion

CRANE cams all IM goin to say....

Quick Reply: neon horsepower