1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

95 Neon, Weird Problem PLEASE HEELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 04:55 PM
luiszinha7
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Neon, Weird Problem PLEASE HEELP!!!

I have a 95 neon and like a week ago when I turn it on it idles good but after a while it acts like if it's going to die. If I take it to the street it runs good but then it loses power, if I push the gas all the way it would not accelerate and sometimes I hear like explosions and then runs good for a while again comes back to the same problem. I changed the IACV thinking it has to do with the air coming in to the engine but didn't solved the problem. Any suggestions of what might be the problem???

Old 01-12-2010, 08:37 PM
grswat
Veteran

Is there a check engine light on? If so try to find out the code. Just a stab in the dark is either a crank sensor or coil pack.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:05 AM
bg1995redneon
Captain

Like grswat said, most likely you have some error codes that have been thrown even if the CEL light is not on. Go to Autozone, Advance, et. al and get them to do an ODB-II readout and write down all the codes given.

You can also do the Dodge key dance - on/off with the key fast three times then back on and read the CEL blink codes (examples: blink pause 2 blinks is error code 12 - ignore that one. and 5 blinks pause 5 blinks is code 55 - no more error codes - ignore that one) but any other code write down and let us know.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:08 AM
bg1995redneon
Captain

Now if you don't have any error codes, then I would begin to suspect two things

1) bad gas

2) stopped up fuel filter giving bad fuel pressure. On a 1995, it is easy to replace the fuel filter as it is external to the tank. It is located next to the tank near the rear passenger tire. Doesn't cost a lot and is easy to replace.

If after you replace the filter, it does not help, then have someone check the fuel pressure at the rail.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:26 PM
jakehoyt69

yeah sounds like you need a tune up and clean your throttle body

Old 01-19-2010, 01:55 PM
luiszinha7

I tried the key dance to pull the codes out and I got many of them. some of them had the "out of range" thing like codes 24, 44 what does this mean?? I got code 11 about the timing belt or no crank signal. Also I got code 25- "Idle air control motor circuits problem, target idle not reached(+/- 200), vacuum leak found" and 31- "Evaporator purge flow monitor failure or evaporator solenoid circuit problem". What are those two mean??? Does any of these have to do with the problem the car has???

Old 01-19-2010, 02:48 PM
bg1995redneon
Captain

Originally Posted by luiszinha7
I tried the key dance to pull the codes out and I got many of them. some of them had the "out of range" thing like codes 24, 44 what does this mean?? I got code 11 about the timing belt or no crank signal. Also I got code 25- "Idle air control motor circuits problem, target idle not reached(+/- 200), vacuum leak found" and 31- "Evaporator purge flow monitor failure or evaporator solenoid circuit problem". What are those two mean??? Does any of these have to do with the problem the car has???
Code 11 is the biggest problem you have. Code 11 means that you have either a bad crankshaft position sensor and/or a bad camshaft position sensor and either one (or both) of these will cause your car to run very rough, it at all. It can also be your timing belt is worn out and has slipped out of time.

Code 24 throttle sensor position out of range may mean that you have a bad sensor on the throttle body, but it could also be caused by vacuum leaks not allowing the sensor adjust itself enough.

Code 25 means you have some vacuum leaks and along with Code 31, they are likely centered around your evap canister located in the well of the front passenger side of the car. I had a couple of leaks there myself.

Code 44 is your battery temp sensor is malfunctioning and you probably have the red battery light on at the same time (if the bulb is in and not blown). It is the least of your worries and does not have to be fixed anytime soon.

Basically you need to fix all the vacuum leaks, check out and or replace your crankshaft and camshaft sensors.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:05 PM
crackerbaril31

i have the same problem wiht my 95 neon...i changed the cam shaft sensor the coil pack intake ,fuel rail ,injectors and the purge solenoid...any clue?

Old 08-01-2010, 11:16 AM
DOHCgarrett t3
Record Breaker

the code 31 could just be the plug being unpluged. as for the spitting and sputtering I would check the fuel pressure at idle it should be around 49psi

Old 08-01-2010, 12:13 PM
crackerbaril31

i check my fuel pressure and its fine any other clues? also i got a new fuel pump

Quick Reply: 95 Neon, Weird Problem PLEASE HEELP!!!