1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

EGR Blockoff

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 11:27 PM
Nuklhed074
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGR Blockoff

alright please dont flame and tell me to search cause i did i jus didnt get the answer i was looking for alright i i go outside right now and rip out all my egr stuff and block it off will my car run any different.??

Old 02-16-2010, 12:45 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will not run any different. You're CEL will be illuminated now though.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:28 PM
Nuklhed074
Veteran

alright thats fine thanks for the info much appreciated im buyin the resistor tomm

Old 02-17-2010, 10:40 AM
thecause17
Veteran

Why do you want to block it off?

Old 02-17-2010, 11:06 AM
bg1995redneon
Captain
Talking

Originally Posted by thecause17
Why do you want to block it off?
I don't mod or race my car, but I completely understand why he wants to remove the EGR. Here is a quote from an excellent website about what an EGR is and does that is direct and simple to understand:

"The Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system's purpose is to reduce NOx emissions that contribute to air pollution. The first EGR systems were added to engines in 1973, and today most engines have an EGR system.
As long as the EGR system is functioning properly, it should have no noticeable effect on engine performance. But if the EGR system is leaking or inoperative, it can cause driveability problems, including detonation (knocking or pinging when accelerating or under load), a rough idle, stalling, hard starting, elevated NOx emissions and even elevated hydrocarbon (HC) emissions in the exhaust."

1) It was introduced to reduce NOX pollution. 2) It really does nothing to help engine performance and 3) in fact, if it is not working properly can CAUSE problems.

So my question to you is why wouldn't you block the EGR if you didn't have to look at the CEL light all the damn time? If he decides to put in a MOPAR Performance PCM, he won't have to stare at that CEL light either.

Last edited by bg1995redneon; 02-17-2010 at 11:08 AM.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:39 AM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bg1995redneon
If he decides to put in a MOPAR Performance PCM, he won't have to stare at that CEL light either.
A very nice upgrade to have as well

Old 02-17-2010, 12:15 PM
thecause17
Veteran

Originally Posted by bg1995redneon
I don't mod or race my car, but I completely understand why he wants to remove the EGR. Here is a quote from an excellent website about what an EGR is and does that is direct and simple to understand:

"The Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system's purpose is to reduce NOx emissions that contribute to air pollution. The first EGR systems were added to engines in 1973, and today most engines have an EGR system.
As long as the EGR system is functioning properly, it should have no noticeable effect on engine performance. But if the EGR system is leaking or inoperative, it can cause driveability problems, including detonation (knocking or pinging when accelerating or under load), a rough idle, stalling, hard starting, elevated NOx emissions and even elevated hydrocarbon (HC) emissions in the exhaust."

1) It was introduced to reduce NOX pollution. 2) It really does nothing to help engine performance and 3) in fact, if it is not working properly can CAUSE problems.

So my question to you is why wouldn't you block the EGR if you didn't have to look at the CEL light all the damn time? If he decides to put in a MOPAR Performance PCM, he won't have to stare at that CEL light either.
I know what they're for and how they work. If the system is operating properly there is no reason to mess with it. If you do have issues with one, they're pretty easy to troubleshoot and most of the time it just needs cleaned. Myself, no, I wouldn't remove mine here mostly for the reason that I would fail emissions because of the CEL.

To each their own. If there was a significant performance gain I could see messing with it, but otherwise I wouldn't take it off unless you had the Mopar PCM to go with it. At that point, you might as well since it's not using it anyway.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:42 PM
bg1995redneon
Captain

Originally Posted by thecause17
I know what they're for and how they work. If the system is operating properly there is no reason to mess with it. If you do have issues with one, they're pretty easy to troubleshoot and most of the time it just needs cleaned. Myself, no, I wouldn't remove mine here mostly for the reason that I would fail emissions because of the CEL.

To each their own. If there was a significant performance gain I could see messing with it, but otherwise I wouldn't take it off unless you had the Mopar PCM to go with it. At that point, you might as well since it's not using it anyway.
I have no idea how much you know about anything, but this thread is also being read by folks who barely know that the chunk of metal under the hood is called an engine.....much less what an EGR is or does. Most folks assume that if it came with the car, it HAS to be there, and about 99% of the anti-pollution addons are due to various EPA and state government regulations, not performance or gas milage enhancers.

Again, it is not a performance gain/loss that is the issue. The best arguement AGAINST having an EGR system is the fact that it CAUSES problems when it does not work right! It does not matter that it is simple to repair, or that the repair is cheap. Cheap is relative if you don't know what to look for and/or how to fix it! Fixing an EGR will cost you about $250 at a mechanic (or more) and I don't know about your finances, but I don't like shelling out $250 for something my car CAN get by without.

If you have mod'd your car to be a serious machine, then the EGR is one of the first useless systems that need to go. The PS and AC pumps are the next! .The fact is that the EGR's ONLY purpose is to reduce NOX emissions and most hopped up cars wouldn't meet stringent emissions tests anyway.

Now if you live in a state where you cannot drive a car unless it passes emissions tests, then I agree with you that the EGR should remain as you cannot get your tags otherwise. I am not anti-emissions, I am just agree with knucklehead that getting rid of the EGR in his case makes sense. He is trying to build a road/track rocket, not a DD.

In my case, a) I don't like having the CEL light on for ANY reason because it makes my wife get all up in my grill to get fixed, and b) my car is a DD, and even though I don't have to worry about emissions testing in AL, I still have the EGR on my car and will fix it when/if it gets out of whack - FWIW and FYI.

Last edited by bg1995redneon; 02-17-2010 at 02:47 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:52 PM
Nuklhed074
Veteran

i want to delete it mainly because its ugly...lol i know its a stupid reason but it ****in up can also cost me money if it messes something else up in the process and puttin exhaust into the intake makes no sense to me i know how it works and what it does but its runs good without it and ups the reliability of my car

Quick Reply: EGR Blockoff