1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

95 Neon electrical problem. Help please.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 08:47 AM
terry s
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Neon electrical problem. Help please.

95 Neon died while driving. It had no spark fron the coil and no fuel pressure. I found the 15 amp engine ignition fuse blown. I replaced the fuse and it started up and ran fine. A couple of days later it happened again.

There must be a short, or excessive current draw somewhere.

Are there any common problems with these cars like this? I don't know where to start looking.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:23 AM
bg1995redneon
Captain

Check all your wiring on that circuit - especially to the sensors.

You probably have a spot where the wire has worn down (usually around wire tie down points). This seems to be a very common theme in Neons.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:39 AM
terry s

Thank you for the quick reply. I don't have a wiring diagram so I don't know where to start looking.

I did find a thread on a 98 Neon where the 02 sensor wire was rubbing on the axle and caused the fuel pump fuse to blow. They said this is a common problem on Neons. They did not say anything about having no spark but on the 95 when the fuse was blown I had no spark or fuel pressure.

If the wiring is similar between the 98 & the 95 I wonder if I might have the same problem on the 95.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:43 AM
bg1995redneon
Captain

The wiring diagrams for a 1998 and 1995 are very very similar and if you purchase the Haynes manual at any parts store for $25, it contains a whole bunch of wiring diagrams. If you plan on working on this car, you will need that book anyway.

If you have a local library, check there as they may have one you can borrow instead of buying.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:17 PM
terry s

Thanks again. Will check the 02 sensor wire first. We had a Haynes manual but could not find it. We will serach for it again.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:17 AM
terry s
Question

I checked the 02 Sensor wires and they were ok. I found the manual and looked at the wiring diagram. I did not find any problems with the wiring but I am sure there are lots of places I can't see or get to. There is quite a bit of oil on the engine particularly on the bottom. The ingition circuit has a lot of items tied into it. If one item has a higher than normal amperage draw and other things are operating at the same time that could blow the fuse.
So far it is still running on the 2nd fuse. Don't know what else to do.

Quick Reply: 95 Neon electrical problem. Help please.