1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

sohc

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2005 | 03:44 PM
Low_Rider
Default sohc

If i take off the Sohc plastic thing that runs to the air filter will this effect the engine? I assume that it just helps bring the air to the air filter but is it necessary? Will the moter just heat up? I plan on gettin a intake for it, are they easy to install?

Old 05-07-2005 | 07:28 PM
SlowAssNeon
Veteran
Default RE: sohc

the part you are referring to is the snorkel. removing it doesnt help, nor hurt. it will make your intake sound louder tho. it offers no real performance gain however. id just leave it on there till you get a real intake

yeah, intakes are pretty easy to install.

Old 05-07-2005 | 11:02 PM
Low_Rider

Tanks alot man, what if it was off and it was rainin would this effect it? Plus what is a good intake of a sohc auto? I mostly want something that will bost some hp but also look half decent.

Old 05-08-2005 | 12:27 AM
SlowAssNeon
Veteran

nah, with the snorkel off and it raining, you should have no problems. the filters location with the snorkel off doesnt change, and its pretty out of the way for water to get to it.. so long as the weatherstripping on the car directly above it is still there

good intake, sohc auto.. 1g.. iceman would be good, but i hate seeing people spend the $$ for an iceman only to have to cut it to fit the automatic.. so the "3.0 intake" would be my next suggestion. the 3.0 intake doesnt look the best tho, but it does perform.
theres no other intakes for the 1g neon that i would recommend. all the ebay "cold air" intakes just place the filter where the stock filter box is, and dont really add much for performance, so i feel theyre a waste of $$ personally.

Old 05-08-2005 | 12:39 AM
Low_Rider

alright man thx for all the help, yeah i'll check out the 3.0 and iceman intakes thx

Quick Reply: sohc