1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

door ajar light

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 12:39 AM
TIImopar
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default door ajar light

i started the 99 neon and the door ajar came on .so i did the open and shut thing to all the doors and it was still on then the dome came on and wouldnt go out and this clicking sound under the dash started . i know its something simple but i dont know what lol . i didnt get to look at anything cause it was dark so ill look at it tomarrow . just thought someone has had the same prob and could give a lil info

thanks
billy

Old 05-09-2005, 05:09 PM
highrevr/tflea
Champion
Default RE: door ajar light

Usually it would be a bad door light trigger happened in my GP but im not sure what the clicking noise under the dash would be kinda sounds like a fuse blowing or a short in the fuse easy fix to the problem temporarily would just be to pull the door dome light fuse.

Old 05-09-2005, 07:07 PM
TIImopar
Rookie

sounds good thanks alot

billy

Old 05-16-2005, 06:04 AM
LilRedNeon97
Professional

HI!!!!
I had a similar issue. Except mine would flicker on and off while driving.
Heres the fix (hopefully).
The clicking noise under the dash is NOT A FUSE, its just the relay switch (basically the same thing that makes noise when you put a blinker on or the hazzards).
AND DONT TAKE OUT THE DOME LIGHT, IT COMES IN HANDY (LOL)
Its making noise because something is causing it to think the door is open.
On all four door jams, there are little black buttons that push in when the door is closed (the driver door should have 2, one for the dome/door ajar and one for the alert that the headlights are on or the keys in the ignition).
One by one press them in and out to make sure they all work right
There are rubber circles that press the buttons in, if they're missing the buttons won't be depressed enough to keep the door ajar light off.
Whatcha gotta do is...
sit inside the car with it on (duh, sorry)
With the doors closed, push and pull (hard) each door until the the door ajar light and/or dome goes off or on (or both). When you figure out which door it is (mine was the back passenger) see if the rubber stopper is still on the door, where it would meet the button on the frame.
I, know, I take forever to explain. Sorry.
Well, there should be 2 stoppers on the front passenger door too, one of them doesnt have a button t press. Pull it out and put it where you are missing one. thats it, thats all ya gotta do.

Sheez, I need to learn shorthand or something haha

Well, hope it works!!!!!!!!!

Courtney

Old 05-19-2005, 02:25 AM
nitroneon

got the smae problem but cant figure it out. After a day the dome no longer comes on when the doors are opened. But if i turn it on with the headlight switch, it works. The door ajar light is on in the dash. anyone know?

Old 05-19-2005, 07:23 AM
LilRedNeon97
Professional

The dome light will turn off eventually if it was on in the first place due to an open door (to save the battery). If the car thinks your door is always open, it has already turned itself off. One by one, with all the other doors closed, push the black buttons on the door jam in and out and see which one makes the ajar light go off. Check that all the round rubber stoppers are on the doors. If your missing one just replace it. Like I said there should be an extra one on the passenger door.

Old 05-26-2005, 07:48 PM
LilRedNeon97
Professional

Hey TIIMopar,
I was wondering if you fixed the door issue?

Old 05-27-2005, 01:40 AM
brianh

It's definately the little black switches in the door. Had the same problem with my 99. I was going to buy the relay at the dealership for 50 bucks cause it was clicking, but the guy told me to try the switches first since they were only 6 bucks a piece. Bought all new ones and that fixed the problem. Just make sure when you put the new ones in the screw holes don't have paint around them so it makes a good ground.

Old 08-08-2005, 02:16 AM
pimped_neon_RT
Rookie

open ur doors theres these lil black buttins that are on the door jams and that noise is this lil tan box in ur fuse box or really its below it!

Old 08-08-2005, 02:43 AM
mr340
Muscle Car Moderator

Passenger rear door seems to be the popular one for bad door switches, I have had to replace it twice on my 98

Quick Reply: door ajar light