1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

More Car Trouble =(

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005 | 12:00 AM
RayDog26
|
All Star
Default More Car Trouble =(

ok well its been about two weeks now since i got my car back from getting the water pump and timing belt job done...a few days after that i did an oil change to keep it fresh for the summer... every thing was going fine then i started running into a problem... it seems when i start it cold or i let it sit for a few hours and i go start it again it starts and idles down real low. some times it revs up and is ok... only twice did it actually stall out completly...it doesn't do it every time mostly when cold.. im clueless to what it could be... any one have any ideas ??

Old 05-10-2005 | 12:33 AM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion
Default RE: More Car Trouble =(

Hmmm....usually it idles higher when its cold. Did you change oil weights?

Old 05-10-2005 | 12:33 AM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

Ooops. Pardon my noobish double posting.

Old 05-10-2005 | 12:37 AM
RayDog26
|
All Star

nope i kept the weight the same 10w-30. the only difference is this one is a synthetic blend not regular. but every mechanic i talked to said that would not cause it to stall out even if the oil affected oil preasure. there has to be another cause. plus it was fine for a few days after the oil change.

Old 05-10-2005 | 04:30 AM
SlowAssNeon
Veteran

first guess would be the IAC - idle air controller. this is what controls how much air the engine gets while idling. if the IAC passage is pretty dirty, you get idle control problems. if the IAC itself is sticking, you get idle control problems.

but, it could be a few other things as well, but the first place id look at would be the IAC. (this is the sensor on the throttle body closest to the head)

Old 05-11-2005 | 12:16 AM
highrevr/tflea
Champion

Correct again slowass are you ever wrong? No but yea definatelt could the Aic control unit...Or if u r runnin open throttle body =public enemy #1. If you have a cheapo filter on as well it will harm your idle and any aftermarket ram intake that has any leaks. Clean your throttle body out too. If its gunky the normal idle position wont allow as much air through and will cause your car to rev.

Old 05-11-2005 | 12:22 AM
RayDog26
|
All Star

how do you check the IAC ??

also i do need to take my throttle body out cuz when i put the intake on it was winter and it ws too cold to stand outside and fool with that. so that will have to get done when i have a day off from work. the filter is ok but i will eventually buy a new one and i don't think its leaking every tihng is tight.

Old 05-11-2005 | 12:26 AM
SlowAssNeon
Veteran

to check the IAC/IAC passage.. you will need to remove the throttle body.
good a time as any to give it a good cleaning.. mainly the iac passage

Old 05-11-2005 | 12:52 AM
RayDog26
|
All Star

so just take that off and clean it and its should be ok ?? cuz its $110 to replace it.. also do you know if there is a how to out there for any of this ??

Old 05-11-2005 | 02:37 AM
SlowAssNeon
Veteran

theres a how-to on removing the throttle body over on neonspeed.com .. that may help ya a little.

yup, just take it off, and clean it. all you should need to clean the throttle body, is a rag, and a can of throttle body cleaner. just spray, and wipe. you *might* need a wire brush in some spots around the throttle butterfly depending on how caked on the stuff is.. but for me it all came off just by wiping and spraying.

make sure that after you clean the IAC passage out, and if you clean off the IAC itself any.. that you wait till both the throttle body and iac are COMPLETELY dry before reinstalling. this is to help make sure that you dont screw up the iac pretty much.

Quick Reply: More Car Trouble =(