Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 08:08 PM
tchase
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Leaking Gear Lubricant

ORIGINAL: mechengineer201

You must be kim I take it?
Nope, Tony, soon to be the luckiest married car-guy in the world.

Old 05-20-2005, 08:17 PM
highrevr/tflea
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me and my friend did the 2.4 litre swap in his NEON and when we pulled the manual trans apart we actually had berylium inserts made for it and welded two gears together, we decided to go with the 75w gear lube and havent had a problem w/ leaks thus far or life of it. The amount of torque that car raps out on that stock motor to the wheels was a big problem however, it peels out at every take off and we rotate tires around all the time doesnt seem to fix the problem tires last maybe 2 weeks. Mech is there any way we can get the power lower w/out a rebuild? Its actually so much to the point of where we are welding the unibody back together cuz uf the stress cracks that the torque puts out. Its his daily driver and I gave him my old tranny but the d00d forgot to put fluid in it and burnt it out. I wouldnt think that it would cause so many problems out of a for the most part stock motor but its gotta be the manual trans.

Old 05-21-2005, 05:30 AM
mechengineer201
Rookie

whooops - sorry dude - you got me all monkied up there [&:] - damn I need me a mechanic chick - my last gf used to bitch all the freaking time about me either messing with cars, or any other machinery that I could get my hands on (I must say the 1960's wash machine we had got the better of me and she had every right to yell at me there, wound up getting a new one [:@])

Ahh I can hear her now: get away your all greasy! - you smell like my grampas tool shed! - that stain will never come out! - I dont understand what dynamic means?? - what is a bearing? - why dont you shave? - my grandmas A/C isnt working, think you can help her out? - ewww your hands and arms are all cut up! - my computer is broke again, can you fix it?

I'd rather be shot than deal with that every other day - I hate knowing how to fix stuff cus then someone is always bothering you with their broken crap and its not like I dont have enough of my own to deal with - anyway you got lucky, cheers...

Old 05-24-2005, 04:36 PM
builtfourspeed

I dont post here to get involved in some manner of pissing contest, furthermore, after having run aforementioned GL in other car's owned by myself longterm without any issues, and I will continue to do so. It is not the advice you give, but rather the manner in which you offer it. If you cannot convey information without capitals and exclamations meant to somehow imply that problems with my car are caused by some kind of ignorance on my part. thats sad. It's all great and dandy that you can tell me that im not using the right viscosity lubricant, and yes I am aware of what viscosity is, but no one can seem to tell me the rating of the stock fluid(including my local dealerships), a question I posted months ago. I am continously suprised by the distrust of the aftermarket by those who focus only on domestics, why is it that anyone here who suggests something else is told go with the brand of suffer the consequences. In my experience, the brand is not the end all and be all of reliability or performance, I have yet to witness anyone pontificate the virtues of OEM sparkplugs and filters, is this only because it is immediatley and painfully obvious that the brand products are inferior in these arenas? I will continue to disbelieve that a car company who shoulders the responsibility of producing an entire automobile can offer a better lubricant, air filter, spark plug, turbocharger, brake calliper, etc... than a company who specializes in only one, or just a few, products, even if the product offered by the manufacturer is sourced out. If it was the case that every car that rolled of the assembley line and everything in it was without question, I imagine there would not be an aftermarket, or the ability to choose different products. I don't know everything, or anywhere near it, in respect to automotives, that's why im here, I would wager that that is why everyone is here. In short, thank you, but the lack of humility on forums like this is the reason I am hesitant to post.

B4S

Old 05-24-2005, 05:55 PM
highrevr/tflea
Champion

There is No reason for anyone to post such things as mentioned we are all learning all the time in here. ILL tell ya when I was 18 I prolly couldnt tell you the difference between a turbo and an Intake manifold but digging in and reading help to raise your knowledge. Criticism is/ always seems to be a reaction to inferiority but in most cases can turn on the critic. Not everything in automechanics is set in stone there are no CONSTANTS so w/ that in mind if there are any objectional posts please keep the criticism and brawling in the HONDUH forums where they think they are superior to everyone else. LOL

Quick Reply: Leaking Gear Lubricant