1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

suspension. whats best

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 09:05 PM
ohioguru
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suspension. whats best

i want to reduce my body roll in my neon feels like a boat in corners. whats the best way to go without spending 100's. cut springs or heated make ride quality crap from what ive heard. but lowering reduces also. whats the diff between cheap ebay springs and heating your own? or would a rear sway bar be best, since my base model has none.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:31 PM
DOHCgarrett t3
Record Breaker

if you want to reduce body roll you can get Eibach sway bars and the suspension bushings. then later to increase effectivness of the swaybars you can lower the car with eibach springs and Kyb-GR2 struts.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:42 PM
showsxt
Record Breaker

Or you can just get bc coilovers and than the swaybars than youll have a really awesome suspension.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:24 AM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

Rear sway bar and a complete bushing kit. This on stock spring was amazing. Just added lowering spring to eliminate that last bit of body roll.

Heating springs can negatively alter the spring rate, and make your car quite dangerous.

The bushing kit really makes the car feel more in control. No more losing alignment when hitting a bump in the road. No flying all over in a windy day.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:10 PM
22DODGE22
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BIG sway bars are the best for comprimise between handling and ride. Coil overs are great for adjusting ride height, but if you use stiff springs, then you're back to hard ride.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:54 PM
showsxt
Record Breaker

Actually coilovers are way better overall than any kind of lowering springs for handleing and adjustment.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:05 PM
22DODGE22

Actually that's not entirely true. Since the spring rate you choose is what affects not only handling but ride. Most all coil kits use stiffer springs because people lower the ride height which brings up a serious problem of bottoming with soft springs, so they crutch the situation by installing a very stiff spring. While this will help with reducing body roll, there is a horrible loss of ride softness. A soft spring big bar chassis setup is what gives you a comfortable daily drive and greatly improves body roll in cornering. The large sway bar will have minimal ride change on normal straight line driving when hitting bumps and dips. Just about everyone running stock cars has gone to this setup. A softer front spring makes for more predictable control especially on rough tracks and helps pin the nose to the track.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:46 PM
showsxt
Record Breaker

Well every srt4 I know off runs somekind of coilovers and they corner alot . I have had both coilovers and lowering springs and large sways and in my op coilovers seemed to be really nice suspension rode nice and never rough like lowering springs.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:37 PM
blacksunshine05
Professional

I would get BC coilovers and never look back. Springs are great if you have a budget you are trying to uphold. But if you can afford it then get coilovers. BC springs are rated 336 lbs for the front and 224 lbs for the rear and you can control ride height to get the look you want and best of all you can control rebound compression from 0 to 30.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:45 AM
22DODGE22

A coil over kit really has no handling advantage. Spring rate and ride height is what effects handling. If you take two identical rated springs one a coil over vs an OEM fit and again they have the exact spring rate, same ride height, there will be no difference in the handling characteristics. Of course when in install a stiffer than stock spring, you will improve handling/cornering. however, as you install stiffer springs, your daily drive feel will suffer. For some, that's fine but for others, it becomes uncomfortable.

Quick Reply: suspension. whats best