1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Struts or Strut Assemblies?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 03:12 AM
DodgeStorm
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Struts or Strut Assemblies?

My neon has 121,000 miles on it. The original struts are completely shot, the car bottoms out quite frequently. I'm looking to replace them...but not sure of the best option.

I've looked at the KYB struts for $239 on modernperformance.com...but I've also been told I should just get a strut assembly as the car probably needs it. The only thing I've seen like this are Monroe quick-struts. I figured the KYBs would provide much better handling.

Basically, I'm looking as to what the best option is to replace the struts/get good handling, while still maintaining my budget. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Old 11-19-2011, 08:49 AM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Strut assemblies are good because they are a quick swap. Everything you need is already put together including the new strut, new spring, new strut mount and so on. If your current strut mounts look good then you could get by with just new struts. Your springs should still be good to go. Keep in mind if you just buy new struts, the installation is more work. You have to rent a spring compressor and so on.

Old 11-19-2011, 07:34 PM
DodgeStorm
Rookie

Thanks. If I get just the struts I will likely have to take it to a shop.

Do you know what is required to install the assemblies? I think we can do it...but I know when we tried to install new Control Arms, the bolts were too seized up and we couldn't get them removed with what we had [literally tried everything] Any experience? Thanks.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:19 AM
das2123
Legend

The assemblies are easy to install. Take the wheel off, then take off the two nuts holding the strut to the control arm. The bolts are slotted so you have to remove the (2) 18mm nuts and then pop out the bolts. After that you remove the 3 or 4 nuts holding the strut to the car. Not too bad. After you do one, the others get easier. The way I install them is to align the strut with the control arm and loosely install the two slotted bolts and nuts, then attempt to insert the strut mount bolts thru the opening to tighten the strut mount nuts to the body.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:22 AM
das2123
Legend

Get a quote for having the struts installed for you plus the cost of the struts themselves. Then compare that to the cost of the quick strut assembly and that may help your decision on which way to go.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:44 AM
JKat

the Quick-Struts were the way to go for me about a year ago due to cost and and ease of assembly, however, they make the car sit so dern high...lol...now i keep getting teased about it looking like an off-roader...lmao
btw...they are suppose dto settle after a little time, but they are still way too high for my liking, if i had to do it over, i'd leave the original stock springs in adn just put KYB GR2's in as replacements (sad that i tossed my old springs in the trash back when the quick-struts were installed).

Quick Reply: Struts or Strut Assemblies?