1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

New guy from indiana needing help desperately.

Old 05-12-2012, 04:18 PM
Rebel67
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy from indiana needing help desperately.

I have a 1997 Dodge Neon Highline Sport 2.0l DOHC 5spd. The speedometer wont work. Replaced the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor). Resoldered the connections on the cluster. All other gauges work.Changed clusters with my '99,same thing. Just speedometer,odometer,and cruise control are NOT working. Every now and then the speedo will jump to 2mph and drop back to 0. I drive 12 miles it will move a couple tenths on the odometer. Any ideas?????

Old 05-14-2012, 11:49 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
I'm going to move your post to the 1st gen neon section. My guess would be a wire broken inside the speed sensor connector.

Old 05-15-2012, 02:39 PM
Rebel67

wiring harness i have went threw and checked continuity of the wires. pcm wiring , I havent , it was too hard to track down.

here is some history on this car. might help.

the guy i bought it off of spun a bearing . parked it for a year. we got it , rebuilt engine. runs good. Then the gremlins start showing up.
whole dash quit. resoldered ,fixed. oil leak replaced big oil passage O-ring on bed plate,fixed. speedo/odometer quits, and tries to die coming to stops. but still running good. throws upstream 02 code, replaced sensor , code fixed. still no speedo/odometer and still trying to die sometimes at stop. No Codes. Notice another oil leak, maybe rear main (thinking maybe knock it out of place when installing bed plate) getting frustrated. check vss AZ says its bad. Change vss , drop speedo pinion in tranny, cant find , pull tranny dig out pinion reinstall vss. install tranny.still no speedo/odometer. back away from for a week , drive and monitor oil/ etc.... drive to store , come back DEAD!!!!!!!! so after putting approx $1500 in a $800 car , I'm here hoping to find someone that has had the misfortune I have had and says those magic words . "MINE DONE THAT AND IT WAS ........." and we lived happily ever after............

Last edited by Rebel67; 05-15-2012 at 02:41 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:16 PM
Rebel67

little fuse 20 amp fuel....... changed. now running. but no change on rest.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New guy from indiana needing help desperately.