1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

crank sensor problem?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 02:30 PM
greg h
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crank sensor problem?

had my 1997 neon for almost 8 years now. 2.0 dohc engine. it has a sporadic loss of power while driving...almost like it losses all power but then right back to normal except you notice the idle shoots up to 2000rpm like it does at start up, then back to normal. done it since i first bought it. lately it has started doing this more frequently and i was thinking of replacing the crank sensor. only code present is p0173...rear o2 code. recent new fuel pump, plugs, wires and coil. has anyone else had this kind of experience or am i going in the wrong direction?

Old 06-11-2012, 09:41 PM
POS_Neon

When my crank sensor failed, the car just died and threw no code. Once the engine cooled down it started back up. My guess is the temps were causing leaking in the Hall-effect transistor(s).

I can't say for sure it's a different problem, but it's acting differently than mine was.

Old 07-08-2012, 09:17 PM
greg h
Default crank sensor?

i just want to thank everyone who responded to my post about my car acting up. a little detective work and my scanner solved the problem in about 1 hour. also used my ASE knowledge and years of experience.

i hope none of you ever need my help.

i'll be sure to look the other way as most of you did.

thanks again (sarcasm)

btw...i tried to upload a pic of mine & the wifes chally, but it doesn't work to well.

Last edited by greg h; 07-08-2012 at 09:24 PM.

Quick Reply: crank sensor problem?