1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

My 95 backfired and would not move...

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 03:25 PM
bg1995redneon
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If she has any tool monkey friends, they can do it. Offer up a nice cold beer when done, and viola! Done.

Yeah, my oldest daughter would not know one end of a wrench from another (or even that is is a wrench)! I tried when she was younger, but no go bawanna! The youngest girl is fairly helpful. 1 out of 2 ain't bad?.....

Old 06-30-2012, 01:08 PM
jetdogy
Default Thanks Everyone!

I'm copying all the responses and sending it to my friend who will relay it to the mechanic working on the car. I appreciate everyone's help. I wish you guys lived nearby to work on my car. I treasure my Neon and want only the best for it. Will keep you all posted on this

Old 07-02-2012, 06:41 PM
jetdogy
Default Got the car back :)

It was the fuel pump, replaced. Also the battery was over 2 years old, got a new one and the connectors were repaired. Running again Hurray! Thanks everyone for your help

Old 07-02-2012, 08:06 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you fill the tank up when it gets to 1/4 of a tank, you don't have to worry about the fuel pump going out. The fuel in the tank keeps the fuel filter cool so it doesn't get hot. Consistently running the gas down will slowly cause the pump to fail.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:35 PM
jetdogy
Angry The car is in trouble ... Again!!! Same as before...

Fuel pump, fuel filter, new battery.... The car is doing the same thing like before!! When it was delivered by the friend of ours after he picked it up from the shop, it died on him on the highway, managed to start it again. He tested the battery and it was dead, replaced and he mended the chewed up wires. Ran fine with a few stops on the way home from work. But this morning it barely started and I gas it and it would stuggle again. Stalled out, turning over but won't start. Same exact thing before it was worked on.
*The wires and spark plugs were replaced last year. What could it be?

I need a NEON owner in North Phoenix to work on my car.... Please!

Last edited by jetdogy; 07-10-2012 at 12:32 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:38 AM
jetdogy
Question Computer problem (?)

*UPDATE: THe mechanic here at my apartment complex brought home his handheld diagnosite machine and said it's the Neon's computer. The car is 17 years old. Is this possible?? He is going to remove it and take it to his shop and test it out. Told me it costs $900 to get a new one or he can find a used one for about $200-$300.

Originally Posted by jetdogy
Fuel pump, fuel filter, new battery.... The car is doing the same thing like before!! When it was delivered by the friend of ours after he picked it up from the shop, it died on him on the highway, managed to start it again. He tested the battery and it was dead, replaced and he mended the chewed up wires. Ran fine with a few stops on the way home from work. But this morning it barely started and I gas it and it would stuggle again. Stalled out, turning over but won't start. Same exact thing before it was worked on.
*The wires and spark plugs were replaced last year. What could it be?
**I AM FURIOUS!!!!

I need a NEON owner in North Phoenix to work on my car.... Please!

Old 07-04-2012, 01:07 PM
das2123
Legend

Do not pay $200 for used pcm if yours turns out to be bad.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:18 PM
jetdogy
Question

I cannot afford a new one, do I junk the car?? I do not want to do that either. What do you suggest???

Originally Posted by das2123
Do not pay $200 for used pcm if yours turns out to be bad.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:44 AM
das2123
Legend

If the pcm tests out bad, I should be able to find you a used pcm cheaper than $200. My thoughts are that you have an exposed or broken wire somewhere in the engine bay. Did you get your money back for the fuel pump installation?

Old 07-05-2012, 11:21 AM
jetdogy

Hi,
I did not even get a receipt for the work. My sister's friend's mechanic worked on it and he's supposed to give her a receipt. I am still waiting. The guy (another mechanic) here are our apartment complex will take out the computer and test it. That's the first step he said. I'll post back here when I here from him, hopefully soon. And I will contact my sister's friend personally and demand a receipt/refund too. Thanks.

Originally Posted by das2123
If the pcm tests out bad, I should be able to find you a used pcm cheaper than $200. My thoughts are that you have an exposed or broken wire somewhere in the engine bay. Did you get your money back for the fuel pump installation?

Quick Reply: My 95 backfired and would not move...