1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

My 95 backfired and would not move...

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 06:17 PM
bg1995redneon
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You cannot test a PCM out of the car. I was told this by a dealer. THEY cannot do it either. The PCM must be "insitu" (in the car connected, etc.).

Used PCM's around here run about $75.

HOWEVER, you have a 1995 model. That year was the only year they used a very specific connector to the wiring harness, so ONLY 1995 model year PCM's will do. Also, 1995 model year cars had a MAP and MAF separate sensor as well as flat pins vs. round pins, and finally, some sensors were moved in later years. So even if you swap out a newer model PCM and get the matching wiring harness that goes with it, you will either have to cut and splice that set, or get newer sensors too.

Now for some possible good news for you. Most likely you have a short (rub) or cracked insulation in one of your O2 sensor wires and/or crank/camshaft sensor wires. Double check all the ground straps for good solid connections with no rust. This behavior is common in Neons and the older they get, the more likely the problem.

In fact, you can easily take the entire front and rear engine wire harnesses out of the car and have them throughly checked. I bet that is where your problem lies, not the PCM.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:21 PM
bg1995redneon
Captain

Wow. Das and I were on the same thought wavelength..... Posted mine just after him......

Old 07-06-2012, 08:46 AM
jetdogy

Writing it all down, thanks!!! I'll post the latest but won't be until I get all my $$ back from the crook who installed the fuel pump which I doubt he ever did. There's no fuel pressure, no humming sound before starting.

Originally Posted by bg1995redneon
You cannot test a PCM out of the car. I was told this by a dealer. THEY cannot do it either. The PCM must be "insitu" (in the car connected, etc.).

Used PCM's around here run about $75.

HOWEVER, you have a 1995 model. That year was the only year they used a very specific connector to the wiring harness, so ONLY 1995 model year PCM's will do. Also, 1995 model year cars had a MAP and MAF separate sensor as well as flat pins vs. round pins, and finally, some sensors were moved in later years. So even if you swap out a newer model PCM and get the matching wiring harness that goes with it, you will either have to cut and splice that set, or get newer sensors too.

Now for some possible good news for you. Most likely you have a short (rub) or cracked insulation in one of your O2 sensor wires and/or crank/camshaft sensor wires. Double check all the ground straps for good solid connections with no rust. This behavior is common in Neons and the older they get, the more likely the problem.

In fact, you can easily take the entire front and rear engine wire harnesses out of the car and have them throughly checked. I bet that is where your problem lies, not the PCM.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:49 PM
bg1995redneon
Captain

A properly functioning fuel pump will only 'hum' for about 1 or 2 seconds before it reaches proper pressure when the key turns to on, so you may not hear it. You can bleed the pressure off the system by pushing the schrader valve on the fuel rail (looks like a tire valve - which it is) and repeat to get a longer cycle, but your best bet is to get a friend to turn the key to on while you lay on the ground next to the tank/pump and listen. You don't even need to crank it, just turn the key to on and if functioning, will quickly reach full pressure and stop (no more then 3 to 4 seconds if you bled the system, 1 to 2 if you did not).

Das has an old sticky link (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...-gen-faqs.html) that gives you some basic FYI stuff and the best one is where he tells you how to do the Dodge "key dance" that will allow you to get any error codes stored in your PCM. If your PCM gives any codes at all (including 12 (battery was disconnected in last 50 key cycles) and 55 (end of stored codes and/or no more codes)), then you do not have a PCM problem most likely. Costs nothing to try and only about 2 minutes to do.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:16 AM
jetdogy

LATEST UPDATE ON MY NEON
http://jettssoundfiles.webs.com/NeonProblem2012.html

Last edited by jetdogy; 07-10-2012 at 12:30 PM.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:36 AM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My other guesses would be the crankshaft position sensor or camshaft position sensor. Both are relatively easy replacements if you have a friend who knows how to use a 10mm socket it can be done in about 10-15 minutes.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:57 AM
jetdogy

I'm saving all of the posts and will have the "certified" mechanic see them. I will be looking for someone reliable and who knows about Neons I can trust. Thanks for all your help.

Originally Posted by das2123
My other guesses would be the crankshaft position sensor or camshaft position sensor. Both are relatively easy replacements if you have a friend who knows how to use a 10mm socket it can be done in about 10-15 minutes.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:08 AM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look for an ASE Certified mechanic.

Old 07-09-2012, 04:43 PM
jetdogy
Default Updated July 09 2012

I made a webpage where I will be keeping track of my Neon
Still won't start. Have a few people who will check it. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the help you all have been giving me. I miss my car!
Click on the link:
http://jettssoundfiles.webs.com/NeonProblem2012.html

I did the Key Dance... here's the video clip:

Last edited by jetdogy; 07-09-2012 at 05:44 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:41 PM
jetdogy
Thumbs up Neon is getting towe...again....

This time it's being towed to a certified auto repair shop down the block who will help us out financially as well... stay tuned!

Last edited by jetdogy; 07-10-2012 at 01:45 PM.

Quick Reply: My 95 backfired and would not move...