Default How Reliable Are 98' Neons??

-topic-

Seeking answers from Neon owners, hopefully non Dodge biased. lol

-Matt-

Old 09-03-2005, 03:19 AM
chud298
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How Reliable Are 98' Neons??

Mine has been VERY good. The only problem now is that the gears for the sunroof are worn so they're grinding a little, get a neon without a sunroof lol. Too much of a hassel I think.

Old 09-03-2005, 07:31 PM
tchase
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine's been really good as well. Aside from the transmission, which can't be entirely blamed on the car, it's needed very little work in the 3 years I've had it. Aside from basic tune-up items (and the Trans), it's only needed 2 outer tie-rods, and a rad. My car's actually a '97 but they're mechanically the same. We also see quite a few neons at the shop and they're generally really good. The bad headgasket rap is true and does apply to a '98, but will have most likely have already been changed. Mine had already been done when I bought it and it had under 60k. Next most common problem is the tranny, but if you look after them properly and avoid prolonged tire spinning you should be ok.

Old 09-04-2005, 05:15 AM
casper
Legend

Mine has been good to me. I have had some problems, but nothing that isn't expected. I drive the car very hard, as a result I have done the clutch a few times, I do recomend a beefed up clutch.

Old 09-07-2005, 05:59 PM
ViperGTS
Banned

I've heard about the possible transmission problems, so I don't know... I guess I'll keep looking.

-Matt-

Old 09-09-2005, 01:09 AM
tchase
Professional

I should add that I also drive the **** outta my car as well. While I am still on my original clutch, it is starting to chatter a bit so that's on the list for the winter. I can't deny the potentia tranny problems as there's a sizeable pile of exploded T-350's at the shop. While there's no saving an abused tranny, used ones are cheap and plentiful. The swap isn't to bad and there are easy steps to take to avoid future problems. The only problems I've actually seen are the differential pin failure, which is quite dramatic and generaly results in numerous internal transmission parts becoming external, and the 1-2 synchro failure. The synchro failure is more just an inconvenience, I double cluctched and short shifted mine for over a year with no other problems before changing it out and scavenging it's intact diff for another unit.

Old 09-12-2005, 01:48 AM
justaname

ehh, no problems with my trans, or head gasket. Only problem I had was the factory type gas line feeding the injectors blew, but I would say it had alot to do with the tach. at the time it busted Best advice on that if its factory fuel lines, just cut the connectors of the ends of the tube and slip rubber gas line over it and clamp. Much more durable.

Old 09-16-2005, 01:22 PM
zeon

hmm, well here's the story on my 98' DOHC neon.
Bought it at a good price at 74,000 kilometers (i'm in Canada) with the optional paint and grafity seats, made in Detroit (Y in vin).

A month or 2 after I bougth it my starter fried, smoke quite litteraly came out from under the hood when I turned the key.

At around 90,000 clicks the fuel pump let go and the O2 sensor let go a few moth after.

At around 100,000 clicks my cv joint axel seals in my trainee started leaking had to replace them, my A/C condensor needed to be replaced as well, my front motor mount was all warn too, my radiator also needed to be replaced as it was leaking, and safety inspection failed needed to change a tie rod end.

At around 150,000 clicks I hit a pot hole and the tie rod end snapped right off and a few months later the day time running lights module fried and noticed that my valve pan cover gasket is leaking in the holes that the spark plug go into on top of the engine, I also have a small exhaust leak which I was told by the dealership that my manifold was cracked

Now at 200,000 clicks it's leaking gas from the hose that goes to the gas tank from the gas cap, the sunroof cable broke so now it won't open all the way or close completly, the rear brake slave cylinders seized as well, and it's in the garage right now as I am writing this to have a CV joint replaced as it snapped in 2 pieces ( the metal shaft itself broke ) and it somehow went through my oil filter...

My friends laugh cause my cell phone directory is full of tow truck companies and garages around where I live and travel to mostly and parts stores and both Dodge dealerships in my city... kinda sad really lol

BUT my engine runs really well... the trainee does seem to make a small grinding sound, kinda sounds like an old truck's rear end

This car will probably be my last Dodge, unless I can get my hands on a 300C for a really really good price, my old shadow was alot better than my neon... I think I got a lemon

I do however drive it a bit hard... especially lately!
--
Danny.

Old 09-16-2005, 06:51 PM
tchase
Professional

umm... No offense Zeon but what do you expect? Cars do require maintenance you know. Tie-rod ends are a regular wear item and I've done both of mine and I'm only at 145,000. You should have replaced your filler neck when it first started rusting, that's what cost you a fuel pump and since your washing rust into your tank everytime you fill up it's gonna cost you another one. Radiators fail too, why do you think there are shops dedicated solely to recoring them? I had to do mine at about 120,000. The axle seal are also common I suspect as both were shot in my replacement tranny but the only cost like $13 bucks and are a piece of cake to change. I suspect thier may have been contributing factors in the broken axle. I will give you the sunroof though, they suck, that's why I didn't buy one with one.

Old 12-22-2005, 05:28 PM
ChrisVZ

I have a '99 Highline Sport 4 dr and have no complaints. Bought it nearly 3 years ago w/ 46k miles. Only had it in the shop 2 times since then for anything other than routine maintainance. First time was for warped brake rotors @ 75k miles and second time was for a tie rod end @ 85k miles. Both of these are normal wear and are to be expected on any vehicle. It has only failed to start one time and that was because the temprature was -20F. An hour later when the temp had climbed to about -10, it started up with only the typical hesitation of a cold engine. It currently has 115k miles and I am happy with its reliability so far. I have heard that the first couple years of the gen 1 models have a few bugs though and the same for the gen 2 ones, so stick to the later year models of either if you can.

Quick Reply: How Reliable Are 98' Neons??