1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

COLD AIR

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2005, 08:31 AM
RadarLove
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: COLD AIR

The K&N for the 1st gen (since this is the 1st gen forum...) is crap. Even with the heat shield hat comes with it, you're sucking air up to 50 degrees hotter than the Iceman intake location (I know, I checked...).

Any of the true CAI's (Iceman, Kirk, RAGE, really old AEM, ghetto w/extention) is easily 3-5 HP on an otherwise stock engine.

Old 11-03-2005, 07:24 PM
1genneon98

i suppose this isn't really a reply. i have a 98 sohc. i heard about the 3.0l chrysler intake moded to make an intake. anyone have any how to's or tips on how to make one?

Old 11-06-2005, 03:21 AM
RadarLove
Record Breaker

Put it on the TB with a hose clamp, put a filter (K&N recommended) on the other end with a hose clamp. Pretty straightforward. But there are dozens of variations on this, mostly to get around the stock battery tray, which will inevitably be in the way...

I personally just hacked up the stock battery tray some and put in a smaller battery. I hacked off the ribbed portion of the 3.0L intake so it wouldn't mess with airflow. Then I used a length of 2.5" exhaust piping to drop the filter down under the bumper. Sadly, the piping (and $45 K&N filter) went bouncing across the freeway one day... I've just got a cheap filter on there for now until I have the time to do it right again...

I've seen it used with the stock battery and tray by cutting the top horizontal length and inserting a length of exhaust piping to run completely past the battery. Just use your imagination and you'll figure out what works for you.

Old 11-06-2005, 05:14 AM
casper
Legend

ORIGINAL: RadarLove

Put it on the TB with a hose clamp, put a filter (K&N recommended) on the other end with a hose clamp. Pretty straightforward. But there are dozens of variations on this, mostly to get around the stock battery tray, which will inevitably be in the way...

I personally just hacked up the stock battery tray some and put in a smaller battery. I hacked off the ribbed portion of the 3.0L intake so it wouldn't mess with airflow. Then I used a length of 2.5" exhaust piping to drop the filter down under the bumper. Sadly, the piping (and $45 K&N filter) went bouncing across the freeway one day... I've just got a cheap filter on there for now until I have the time to do it right again...

I've seen it used with the stock battery and tray by cutting the top horizontal length and inserting a length of exhaust piping to run completely past the battery. Just use your imagination and you'll figure out what works for you.
No offense, that is the reason I just bought the Iceman, its more expensive, but it does the job right the 1st time.

Old 11-07-2005, 02:12 PM
posneon

well what im doing is puting a working hood scoop to aloow cold air from outside in to the intake area this will help from sucking in hot air

Old 11-07-2005, 03:12 PM
RadarLove
Record Breaker

I'm the King of Not Doing Things Right the First Time. How do y'all think I learned so much

Old 11-07-2005, 06:36 PM
1genneon98

Helps appreciated. i'll see what i can get going. does it matter what 3.0 engine. i already had a intake tube from a 98 caravan. i'm thinkin it should work. anyway thanx again

Old 11-08-2005, 02:43 PM
gutted
Veteran

I dropped just about two tenths off of my quarter mile time with the Iceman intake.

Old 11-08-2005, 09:11 PM
1genneon98

intake is made and in. sounds sweet. haven't dyno'd yet to see the'if any difference is made as far as power. but it looks nice. next step....exhaust.

Old 11-08-2005, 09:18 PM
clemson725
Professional

CAI....next to useless considering the price. In my own opinion its still next to useless if it was free. The goal here is power to weight ratio. Either increase power or cut weight. If i had $300 to throw away i'd probably invest it in weight savings. Fiberglass hood maybe? A down payment on lighter rims?

Quick Reply: COLD AIR