1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

98 neon stalling.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2005, 04:06 PM
zeon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 neon stalling.

My car is acting up again, I posted last week about my car not starting and with the suggestions I received from you guys I changed my plugs and wires, and that got my car running perfectly again... but this morning while letting the car idle I was scraping the ice off of the windshield and it stalled, this happened twice. Started right up after this and I drove to work. At lunch it didn't want to run, it would start and stall. when it started up it would rev up to like 2000 rpm and would slow down, and as soon as it would hit the 1000rpm range it would stall... and if I gave it a little gas while it reved up she'd die instantly... then went to try again an hour later and it started right up again with a little engine hesitation and is idling at 1100rpm (a bit faster than normal idle)

Any ideas what could possibly be causing this... I was searching around the forums to see if someone had this problem before and I noticed a few posts mentioned the map sensor... or tos sensor.

--Danny

Old 11-25-2005, 12:27 AM
tonedef1
Default RE: 98 neon stalling.

Check the engine grounds it is possible that you have a loose or broken ground wire and that it is jumping around causing your car to die at diffrent times maybe the engine vibration at higher idle is knocking it lose. i hope this helps you out that was the problem on my car if it doesnt work for you let me know then ill tell you the engine diag procidures i went through for a no start problem i had.

Old 11-26-2005, 12:14 AM
zeon

k, my neon started again and was working fine .... now... a day later... after driving it a lot... it died again... and wont start again.... just turns... the fuel pump sounds like it's working fine.... this time it stalled as I was driving so I tried jump starting it while it was still in motion and it didn't work... it felt like I was at the end of an elastic band, hard to explain really....

didn't sputter or anything...

any ideas once again would be greatly appreciated

--
Danny

[IMG]local://upfiles/16571/E145E80E1B9946E9B427491B44EAD87C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-26-2005, 04:17 PM
casper
Legend

I would check the idle motor and the intake temp sensor on the Throtle body.

Old 11-28-2005, 03:14 PM
zeon

It's at the dealer now, just waiting for their call to let me know what's going on.

Old 11-29-2005, 04:54 PM
zeon
Default RE: 98 neon stalling. ------> fixed!!!

Well guys you won't beleive what was wrong with my car.... I guess my gas lines froze up....
Mechanic said I should always be rolling around with more than just 10$ of gas in there...

Gonna keep her at full tank I guess to keep this from hapening again...

--
Danny

Old 11-29-2005, 08:08 PM
whyte69
Veteran
Default RE: 98 neon stalling. ------> fixed!!!

some fuel injector cleaners, winter fuel, and winter fuel additives will keep your fuel lines from freezing.

Does anyone know how well a grill insert would do? It would keep cold air from getting to the fuel lines.

Old 11-30-2005, 02:12 AM
gabesn200sx

One thing that is common is that little O2 sensor. I know it gave me plenty of problems with my 95. If your check engine light is on, go over to an auto parts store. Most of them have the readers to pinpoint the problem area or sensors that would be causing you problems. Check it out and let us know.

Gabe

Quick Reply: 98 neon stalling.