1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

SMOKING NEON

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 02:42 AM
illegalneon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SMOKING NEON

IM A 1ST GEN NEON OWNER AND ITS SMOKES CONSTANTLY FROM THE BACK OF THE INTAKE MANIFOLD, THERE HASN'T BEEN ANY MODS DONE TO IT YET BECAUSE THIS IS THE SECOND ENGINE THAT HAS BEEN INSTALLED

Old 12-21-2005, 04:49 AM
casper
Legend
Default RE: SMOKING NEON

I am assuming that the back is the part closest to the motor?? There is no reason, nor posiblitity that it can actually be somoking for the the intake, look closer.

Old 12-21-2005, 09:11 AM
RadarLove
Record Breaker

How heavily is it smoking? Any signs of an oil leak? Any overheating? Signs of oil in the water or water in the oil?

The head meets the block right there, so there's the chance of a head gasket leak.

You also have the heater lines running right there. Those are crap, particularly if you live someplace where they salt the roads and you have a lot of miles on the car (they usually don't replace those lines with an engine swap...). Mine are looking scary, but no leaks... yet... They'll be gone after this winter though . Anywho...

You also have PCV tubing running around there if you have a '95 SOHC (don't remember if the '96-up do or not).

There are a few blanks in the block for the oil and water passages, but I've never, ever heard of those leaking by...

If you have a DOHC, the thermostat housing is part of the intake manifold, so if that gasket is leaking it could steam, but that should be pretty easy to spot.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Best of luck!

Old 12-21-2005, 12:16 PM
Gary Howell
Professional

Sounds like you have a 95 SOHC, and the PCV module is right behind the intake. Most likely a hose has dry rotted from age, and it is allowing blow by that normally would have been excuated to come out. Check to see if you have and bad hoses on the PCV module.

Old 12-21-2005, 12:37 PM
illegalneon

YEA I HAVE A SOHC AND I REPLACED THE THERMOSTAT AND GASKET, IT HAS HAD A HEAD JOB DONE A FEW MONTHS BACK I WAS THINKING OIL WAS LEAKING SOMEWHERE BUT TO NO AVAIL I HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO SPOT IT SO I DON'T DRIVE THE CAR AS MUCH NOW AS I DID BEFORE(REALLY ITS PARKED IN THE GARAGE AND MOVES LIKE ONCE A WEEK) AS SOON AS UNCLE SAM ALLOW ME A FEW DAYS OFF I'LL SEARCH MORE FOR THE LEAK IF IN FACT IT IS ONE

Old 12-21-2005, 02:52 PM
whyte69
Veteran

what colour is the smoke? Does it smell like anything? If it's kinda sweet, it could be coolant that's leaking and dripping onto something hot. I'd check your rad hoses and such. If it smells kinda like diesel then it's probably oil. I'm not sure what wiper fluid smells like when it's burning, but I've never had that leak on me. Check for drips under the car before you start it up, maybe it'll give you a clue on where to look.

Old 12-22-2005, 12:38 PM
got go fast

check for haed gasket look for an oil leak on back side at the left rear corner. also look for crank sensor or oil presser switch to be l;eaking also

Old 12-22-2005, 10:38 PM
casper
Legend

I am gonna go way out on a limb here and have you filled the oil lately and spilled some?

Old 12-23-2005, 01:02 AM
illegalneon

<<<<laughing my *** off, nah dude i have a steady hand when it comes to filling it up with oil! however yes there is a however im thinking its a ring because im gettin like a bluish color smoke from the exhaust.

Old 12-23-2005, 03:29 AM
casper
Legend

that would be rings if there is blue smoke

Quick Reply: SMOKING NEON