1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

96 neon DEAD

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006 | 04:45 PM
lukesnyder
Default 96 neon DEAD

Hi, I am new to the forums and have a 96 neon SOHC.

Well it ran out of gas two nights ago and decided it didnt want to start again.

I went and get a fuel filter... figuring it just picked some junk up out of the tank...
Well come to find out neons with plastic gas tanks dont have a external fuel filter.

But using the search button I found out theres a tiny filter at the end of the regulator... can anyone tell me how to clean it and where its located????

Old 01-03-2006 | 05:07 PM
lukesnyder
Default RE: 96 neon DEAD

Another thing I find funny is it will idle without and kind of problems but as soon as you hit the gas it sounds like it's out of time and the motor dies.

Old 01-03-2006 | 05:25 PM
lukesnyder

Could the timing belt jump a tooth?

Old 01-04-2006 | 12:03 AM
Ramrat
Professional

i know they say it's a life time, but sounds like a filter to me and lets face it... filters are going to go bad wether a life time or not. seeing how this came up when she ran out of gas it stands to reson that the filter picked up some crap and is letting just enough through to run her at idel, when under a load(stepping on the gas) it's not enough to keep it running, i'de change it, there not that much just a bit of a pain in the pooper to get at

Old 01-04-2006 | 12:08 AM
Ramrat
Professional

sorry, forgot to tell ya i beleave it is in the tank, but not 100% as all 3 of my 96s are the early builds with the aluminum tanks(xternal filter) they changer this part way through the production year and went with the plastic that you have with the "lifetime" internal filter

Old 01-04-2006 | 02:06 PM
lukesnyder

To add more BS to the story... I take out the #3 Spark plug and its DRIPPING with oil... Possibly bad coil?? Checking spark right now.

Old 01-04-2006 | 07:58 PM
neonextreme

My Spark plugs were like that
you need new o-ring seals for your spark tubes
Does your car act like i wants to start but wont completely start?
I had my fuel pump go in my neon
Try banging the center of the gas tank with a rubber mallett and have someone try to start it at same time
IF you can start your engine doing that your fuel pump is hooped

Old 01-04-2006 | 07:59 PM
highrevr/tflea
Champion

well running outta gas is a good way to mess up your fuel pump...when that light comes on get to a station immediatley. Its more then likely a bad fuel pump causing your no start woes...step on the gas a few times when you are cranking and sniff around to see if you are getting any fuel to the chamber or to the front of the car. See if you had any codes as well. good luck!

Old 01-09-2006 | 12:05 AM
lukesnyder

The fuel pump was jammed full of crap.. put some carburator cleaning in it and used a sqee-G (sP)lol

Hey guys thanks for all the help.. I plan on contributing as much as possible to the forum as I can. My summer car is a built 350z, so hopfully I can contribute somthin. Thanks again!

Quick Reply: 96 neon DEAD