1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 12:13 PM
dont33zel
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil leak

whats up i got a 99 dodge neon havent had it that long it has 91xxx miles on it.the problem is it has an oil leak and its gotten really bad,i replaced the valve cover gasket last night hoping that was the problem but its still leak.funny thing is it only leaks wen i start the car and drive it or let it run.could it be another blown head gasket or something else.i can just sit there and watch the oil leak from under the car just drippin off the transaxle?

Old 02-09-2006, 05:51 PM
casper
Legend
Default RE: oil leak

Your gonna have to find out where the oil is comming from. It could be a head gasket or a rear main seal. Just take a close look and see exactlly where its commin from.

Old 02-21-2006, 02:15 PM
dont33zel

how am i suppose to find the leak...just lookin wont work cuz there is to much oil on the block...wen the car is started it just leaks down the tranny and dripps off....how am i going to find out what it is...?

Old 02-21-2006, 02:24 PM
dont33zel

also a lil while back bout maybe a month ago on my way to work i was gettin on the interstate and wen i hit the gas the car sounded strange and then i look in the rearview mirror and saw a cloud of white smoke it happen twice...does that mean that the car does have a blown gasket i know i replaced the valve cover gasket....guessin the valve cover gasket blow first than the head gasket...so could it be a head gasket.....i dont drive the carjust start itr once in a while...

Old 02-21-2006, 03:17 PM
casper
Legend

Usually if its the head gasket, you will see oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil. Try cleaning the motor with a degreaser and then looking for the leak.

Old 02-21-2006, 04:11 PM
dont33zel

how would i check foe that

Old 02-21-2006, 05:20 PM
casper
Legend

ORIGINAL: dont33zel

how would i check foe that
Look in the radiator and see if the coolant is milky. Look at the oil and see if it is milky.

Old 02-21-2006, 05:54 PM
dont33zel

what color is the coolant usaully suppose to be...mine i look at it once it was like yellowish green...but i havent looked at it lately....or the oil....

Old 02-21-2006, 09:37 PM
Drunkship
Rookie

I got a 1999 Neon with about 74,000 miles on it. Recently the head gasket broke and is leaking oil all over... but it leaks when the car is off, so I don't know if that may be it.

Old 02-21-2006, 10:21 PM
notallhere
Rookie

Look at the dipstick what does the oil look like? Is it like brown froth or straight oil? Is there rust on the dipstick?
is the oil comming from the top of the tranny and running down or from the bottom and front?is the cam sensor tight? there is a seal there that could leak its on the right side of the head looking at the motor just under the wiring harness as it passes the head.
One thing ive done to find a leak is to take the car to the car was and clean the engine compartment at least the area were i think the leak is coming from to see if it is getting fresh oil there.
Or just buy some engine cleaner and spray it down and let it set for a few minutes and rinse it of.
A head gasket leak at least in my expereance has caused a fog behind me nonstop while the engine is running although not all do that. Is the coolant getting low?
let us know.

Quick Reply: oil leak