1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

MTX question

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 03:00 PM
pimpberetta
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MTX question

On the colder mornings, like really cold, -30 cold, there is a squeal type sound, like a dry bearing sound coming from the right side of the tranmission if your looking at it from the front. I notice there is a little like "door" there held on by 7 or 8 bolts i think.

My question is, whats behind that, is there a bearing I can pull out and replace or at least put some oil in there? Would some kind of additive help my problem, becuase it seems like the oil drains away from the bearing and it screeches till its warmer, I guess when oil is getting to it. When its warm it doesnt make any sound at all.

Thanks in advance

Sean

Old 02-17-2006, 05:26 PM
casper
Legend
Default RE: MTX question

I am not sure whats exactlly doing it, but does the sound go away if you step on the clutch? I know thats some pretty extreme cold, Maybe you could try a thinner trans oil. I would call a local transmission shop and see what they say as they are gonna be used to questions like that considering the cold.

Old 02-18-2006, 05:33 AM
pimpberetta
Veteran

Actually yes it does the sound, kinda makes me think its the input bearing but the sound seems to be coming from end of the transmission.

Old 02-18-2006, 10:23 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if the sound stops when you push the clutch then it is just the clutch release bearing. they usually do that when it gets cold out. but there isnt really much to do, and it wont hurt anything. on the other side of that that little door is a bearing for the main drive gear, nothing else, and there isnt any access to anything else in there either

Quick Reply: MTX question