1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Timing

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 10:08 PM
fetus
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing

i was driving down the road one day and the car died on my while goin about 60mph
come to find out the timing belt came off. the valves are not bent or anything like that but i cant get it back in time..can some one please tell me what to do

Old 02-25-2006, 01:35 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Timing

if it is a sohc then there is a mark on the cam that lines up with a mark on the block if it is a dohc then there is a mark on each cam, the marks get lined up next to each other. then make sure that the crank is at top dead center. remover the #1 sparkplug and stick a wooden doll rod in the hole. when the rod reaches its highest point then it is at top dead center. there is then an arrow on the crack that gets lined up with a mark on the block. when they are alligned move the crank counter clockwise 10 degrees or about 1 tooth. then it should be aligned. replace the belt and test it out.

Old 02-25-2006, 04:39 PM
fetus

ok
now the car is in time but the car will not start, any ideas
also im getting at code 12

Old 02-25-2006, 11:55 PM
spudsterier
Legend

are you sure that the valves arent bent?? how did you find out?

Old 02-26-2006, 01:05 AM
notallhere
Rookie

OK got a compresor? if so test the cylenders for compresion by putting air into them. I use a screw in compresion gage hose and have a fitting on it to hook to the air line. If you bent the valves it will leak air through the intake or the exaust or both.
I reset the timeng on a few cars in the years to know to do this type of leak down test before even installing the new timing belt.

Old 02-26-2006, 02:14 AM
fetus

no the valves are not bent, and my neighbor has checked for compression and it is compressing, it has a spark and its getting gas. he says it more than likeley has something to do with the computer. and how do i fix code 12?

and is the PCM the same as the ECU, meaning is it the same thing

Old 02-26-2006, 01:13 PM
RadarLove
Record Breaker

Code 12 just means that the battery has been disconnected within the last 50 on/off cycles (which is more than just key positions...). The SOHC belt is a little trickey to line up. There's a decent chance it's off a tooth or two, and the PCM won't pick it up when switched back on because it is "learning" the "new" position. When putting the belt back on, you need to rotate the crank by hand at least one whole rotation and make sure the marks still line back up.

The PCM is the same thing as an ECU, except a PCM also controls the tranny, if needed (automatic).

What were the actual compression numbers? The Neon is an interference engine. The odds of you not bending any valves is remarkably slim... I bent all 16.

Best of luck!

Old 02-27-2006, 06:42 PM
notallhere
Rookie

When you install a new timing belt you need to set the crank position 1/2 a tooth off before tdc. Rotate the crank three teeth counter clockwise and then 2 1/2 clockwise, then install the belt and the tensioner. This is done because when you instll the tensioner it turns the crank that half a tooth to the corect position if not done it may cause you to be off one tooth on the timing.
Could be your problem. check it out by doing what RadarLove suggested above.
Good luck!

Old 02-28-2006, 02:54 AM
fetus

i need to know how to get the cam on TDC, i got the crank. its the cam that is giving me problems
thanks lot guys for all your help

Old 02-28-2006, 10:10 AM
spudsterier
Legend

the cam doesnt get top dead center. you just lign up the mark on the cam with the mark on the block, unless dohc then line the marks together

Quick Reply: Timing