1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Neon weird problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 05:09 PM
zeon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Neon weird problem

I have a weird problem with my neon, after driving for about 50 kilometers it's like the engine is tired and wants to stop. When I press the gas very lightly it acceleratre like normal, but as soon as I give it like half a pedal of gas it's like it want's to stall, if I ease up on the gas it starts accelerating like normal again though

It also idles perfectly when I do pull over on the side of the road. What I have to do to correct this is pull over on the side of the highway is turn it off, then turn the key just enough to power the fuel pump.. then off again (I do that a few times) and then I start it up again... and I'm good for another 50 kilometers or so before I need to repeat this.

I got my fuel pump's pressure checked and the guy said it's giving out perfect numbers.

Any ideas?

Danny.

Old 04-07-2006, 07:55 PM
5.0LTREATER
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Neon weird problem

One low budget check is to put a new gas cap on it. About five bucks. Also a bad cat can and will imitate a bad fuel pump. When it starts acting up, pull over into a parking lot (or somewhere safe) and look under the car. If the cat is red hot that is probably your problem. Just a couple of quick checks without spending any diagnostic $$$'s.

Quick Reply: Neon weird problem