1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

how do i replace my door windows?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 08:21 PM
Jeanette656
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do i replace my door windows?

Both of my door windows were smashed out of my 96 2 dr. I have the new windows to put in, but i dont know how! Can anyone tell me how to replace them? Its manual windows. Thanks!

Old 04-19-2006, 11:38 PM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: how do i replace my door windows?

you need to pop off the window cranks( usually just stick an old rag behind the crank and pull it around a bit)....then you can take a screwdriver(if you dont have a trim puller), wedge it between the pane and the door and pry out all around the door to dislodge the clips...on the back side off the panel, move the clip that hold the latch rod to the handle and then disconnect any power clips(if any).....then if that black plastic sheet is on the door(you will know what i mean) you can pull it off, or take a knife and slit it where you can feel holes at behind it...pulling it off makes it easier though.....then you will have to roll down the windows partially and you will see the alluminum brackets that hold the glass to the sliding track...there should be 2 on each bracket i think...and you will have to roll the window up or down to get to the other bracket....and you will need to pull off the rubber trim deal on the outside of the door at the top.....once the bolts are undone you should be able to tilt the glass and pull it out.....
when installing it.......make sure to slide in the glass and set it behind the bracket, there are some little seats in there for it i believe.....then start all the bolts but dont tighten them...roll up the window all the way and close the door lightly...from there you will be able to see how it needs to slide to fit better....slide it to the right spot and then tighten them down....just remember not to tighten the bolts for the glass to much or it will shatter the window(i did it b4)...then just start going backward on installing the rest....
hope this helps i know i made it sound more confusing then it really is

Old 04-20-2006, 02:38 AM
evilneon

do not pull the crank off with a rag with out pulling the lock pin out. It looks like a horseshoe pin right behind the crank. Trust me I did it that way,broke my crank right off the mount. $130 dollars it cost me for a new set up!and hard as hell to install.So dont do that and good luck brother!
ORIGINAL: spudsterier

you need to pop off the window cranks( usually just stick an old rag behind the crank and pull it around a bit)....then you can take a screwdriver(if you dont have a trim puller), wedge it between the pane and the door and pry out all around the door to dislodge the clips...on the back side off the panel, move the clip that hold the latch rod to the handle and then disconnect any power clips(if any).....then if that black plastic sheet is on the door(you will know what i mean) you can pull it off, or take a knife and slit it where you can feel holes at behind it...pulling it off makes it easier though.....then you will have to roll down the windows partially and you will see the alluminum brackets that hold the glass to the sliding track...there should be 2 on each bracket i think...and you will have to roll the window up or down to get to the other bracket....and you will need to pull off the rubber trim deal on the outside of the door at the top.....once the bolts are undone you should be able to tilt the glass and pull it out.....
when installing it.......make sure to slide in the glass and set it behind the bracket, there are some little seats in there for it i believe.....then start all the bolts but dont tighten them...roll up the window all the way and close the door lightly...from there you will be able to see how it needs to slide to fit better....slide it to the right spot and then tighten them down....just remember not to tighten the bolts for the glass to much or it will shatter the window(i did it b4)...then just start going backward on installing the rest....
hope this helps i know i made it sound more confusing then it really is

Old 04-20-2006, 10:34 AM
Jeanette656

good luck brother!
its sister lol

thanks for the help guys, here goes nothing!!

Old 04-20-2006, 12:53 PM
Got2muchspeed

i pick up the clip remover for $6.10 with tax from advanced auto parts, that little clip came off easy with the tool.

Old 04-20-2006, 05:26 PM
Jeanette656

I wish i hadve had one, it took me longer to remove the clip then it did to replace the window. Oh well, both windows are in now! Thanks for the help guys!

Old 04-20-2006, 07:15 PM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the point of the rag is it remove the retainer clip

Old 05-02-2006, 10:25 PM
detroitdieselman

my drivers side was busted out 2 weeks ago, i replaced it myself. The only problem i had was a piece of glass dropped inside the locking mechanism and the door would not open. I had to blow compressed air up from inside the bottom of the mechanism to get it out, or pull the assy out of the door, i tried the air and it worked. my point is, make sure you get out all of the loose glass!

Quick Reply: how do i replace my door windows?