1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

pcm question

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 02:20 PM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default pcm question

i know the difference between an automatic and a 5-speed pcm....but is there a difference between a sohc and a dohc??? i know the rev limit would be changed..but if i got a performance one..how much different would they be???...ive had plenty of sohc pcms in my dohc before(the car eats pcms)and it still ran the same..but is there a difference other then re limit?

Old 04-24-2006, 03:57 PM
casper
Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: pcm question

LOL, you really should put a SOHC PCM in a SOHC and a DOHC PCM in a DOHC.

Old 04-24-2006, 04:05 PM
highline95jl
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: spudsterier

i know the difference between an automatic and a 5-speed pcm....but is there a difference between a sohc and a dohc??? i know the rev limit would be changed..but if i got a performance one..how much different would they be???...ive had plenty of sohc pcms in my dohc before(the car eats pcms)and it still ran the same..but is there a difference other then re limit?
Do you seriously wonder why your car east PCMs when you mis match them?

Old 04-24-2006, 04:19 PM
casper
Legend

Spud, I am really not trying to pick on you too much, but................ You claim to know a lot abou the neon and cars in general, but you ask a lot of questions that to someone with some knowledge are pretty basic. Why is that?

Old 04-24-2006, 05:01 PM
highline95jl
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: casper

Spud, I am really not trying to pick on you too much, but................ You claim to know a lot abou the neon and cars in general, but you ask a lot of questions that to someone with some knowledge are pretty basic. Why is that?
Ill answer for him..................because hes full of ****.

Old 04-24-2006, 06:17 PM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i am just asking a simple question.....but it was just sumthing that i was wondering...the only reason that i have used a sohc pcm is because the junk yards around here dont get many dohcs....and i was tired of buying new ones from the dealership and them going out...and the sohc one that i have been using for a little while now seems to be the best one....but either way, none of this answers my questions...

Old 04-24-2006, 06:31 PM
casper
Legend

Get the right PCM for you car.

Old 04-26-2006, 08:24 AM
RadarLove
Record Breaker

The difference between the 5-speed and auto PCM's is the torque converter lock-up feature. If you put an auto PCM in a 5-speed, you should get a CEL for it not working (becase it isn't there). If you put a 5-speed PCM in an auto, the torque converter will not lock up, the tranny will heat up wicked fast, and gas mileage will suck doodoo.

The big difference between the stock SOHC and DOHC PCM's are the fuel and timing curves (well, charts actually). They are significantly different. The DOHC has much more advanced timing, and much more fuel because of the extra airflow capacity. The extra timing is the reason the DOHC's are required (per the FSM and owner's manual) to use premium fuel. There are the rev limits, of course. The stock SOHC cam (even the '95) simply doesn't make power much past the 6750 rev limit. I tend to shift by 7k, even with a 6200 RPM limit.

The Mopar SOHC PCM fuel and timing charts much more resemble the DOHC, and the Mopar DOHC PCM charts don't really change much, just more advanced timing. The rev limits are different between the two, and vary depending on what year they were manufactured (my '95 DOHC PCM has a 7200 RPM limit, others have a 7300 RPM limit).

Mismatching SOHC/DOHC PCM's will not eat your PCM. A SOHC PCM on your DOHC may tend to run lean though, particularly at idle and WOT. Mismatching years matters, 95's are special, 96's are special (single pin swap to get the rad fans to work), 97-99's are swappable. Mismatching auto/manual can matter, as mentioned above.

Best of luck!

Quick Reply: pcm question