1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Throttle Body

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 01:47 PM
jdog08
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle Body

I am planning on putting a new throttle body on my 95 SOHC and i was wondering what would be best for me. Either the 55mm, 60mm, or a throttle body out of an atx

Old 04-26-2006, 01:56 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Throttle Body

I'm guessing you have an MTX, right? Unless you have some mods that would justify the 55 or 60mm TB, I'd go with the ATX TB.

Old 04-27-2006, 03:08 AM
FuzzRacer
Captain

Neons respond well to intake mods, 55 is good but don't go any higher 60mm a bigger throttle with a performance CAI and a good filter on top of that shows good results. Modernperformance has throttles that you can choose from, and if that's to costly then you can have your throttle bored out at machine shop, as for the CAI if you don't have one get one. The Iceman seems to be the choice for neons from what I have heard because it relocates the filter away from the engine and because of the material used to make it, but I don't know where to find those anymore, the Kirk CAI also relocates the filter away from the engine( its basically a piece of pipe that seems to be at a 80 degree angle with a cone filter midway where the battery would be, It's cheaper to do it yourself and its not hard to do.) but you need a battery relocation kit for it hope some of that was helpful I know that was more info then what you probably wanted but I was just trying to be helpful Good Luck !

Old 04-27-2006, 05:39 AM
casper
Legend

For money to HP gain, get the ATX TB for under $50. You could benifit by a 55mm, but your gonna pay alot more for it. If you are planning on modding the car further get the ATX for $40 or whatever and put money elsewhere in the motor, when you get to the point that you could benifit from a 60mm buy one then and sell your ATX TB for what you bought it for.

Old 04-27-2006, 06:00 AM
FuzzRacer
Captain

Good Point. Couldn't he just go with a jeep throttle and skip all the buying and reselling? I forget which jeep has the throttle that is compatible with the 1gen neons but I know there is one and it works with slight modifications I had asked about it once before and someone on this forum even had the instructions on how to make those modifications

Old 04-27-2006, 06:16 AM
casper
Legend

ORIGINAL: FuzzRacer

Good Point. Couldn't he just go with a jeep throttle and skip all the buying and reselling? I forget which jeep has the throttle that is compatible with the 1gen neons but I know there is one and it works with slight modifications I had asked about it once before and someone on this forum even had the instructions on how to make those modifications
Great idea, but why complicate the process, do you know how many ATX neons are just kicking around in the junkyard, lol. If you can find a TB off a neon cheaper than $30-$40 you let me know, we can set somethin up. Your right the jeep one will work, but its still 52mm and needs to be modified and isn't any cheaper.

Old 04-27-2006, 11:39 AM
das2123
Legend

ORIGINAL: FuzzRacer

It's cheaper to do it yourself and its not hard to do.) but you need a battery relocation kit for it
For the 3.0L intake you don't need to relocate the battery, just trim it some.

Old 04-28-2006, 02:01 AM
FuzzRacer
Captain

Doesn't triming it down compromise intake performance ? Id rather just relocate the battery, with the Dohc I need all the space I can get It seems like everytime I stick my hand somewhere I come back up with a cut like today when I was putting in my bulb. I should take pics and label them " neon war wouns" and as for the throttle there are crap load laying around( l love junkyards), if you seriously want a throttle in that price range then I can do some checking at the yards here, I paid $12 dollars for an alternator with warrenty included and a coil pack was $ 10 I haven't got around to getting it coated yet just let me know if your intrested

Old 04-28-2006, 02:03 AM
das2123
Legend

^^^I meant trim the battery tray. It isn't necessary to relocate the battery is all I was trying to point out. It is an option, but not a necessary one.

Old 04-28-2006, 02:42 AM
FuzzRacer
Captain

ahh ok, ive cut off part of it before,the part that had that tube in or the part before the metal thing that holds the battery down it. Ive never thought about triming it down. nice tip

Quick Reply: Throttle Body