1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

ATX -> MTX & rear drums -> discs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 12:01 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: ATX -> MTX & rear drums -> discs?

ORIGINAL: starik
You guys are obviously star mechanics with access to car lifts, etc, etc. How about coming over and helping me with something useful like head gasket replacement ?
If you llive anywhere in the Houston area, I'd help you.

You don't need a carlift to do a tranny swap on a neon.

Old 06-28-2006, 03:04 PM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on my first r/t i have had to replace 3 trannys and 1 motor within the past 4 years....no lift, no air tools, no help from anyone but a haynes manual(for the first time)...and the first time i changed it i was only 17....plus the car also got swapped from a manual trans to an auto(for the wife) and then back to a manual(for me again)

look at it this way, (on the auto)disconnect the 2 exhaust bolts, 3 motor mount bolts, pop out the two driveshafts, remove the radiator, disconnect the two power steering lines, remove the battery and tray, unbolt a/c(if equipped), unbolt shifter linkage from tranny, and unplug the wire harness.....there the motor is redy to pull, and the hardest part is done......without a trans jack and all that stuff, this is the easiest way to change the trans if you are by yourself and dont wanna maneuver the trans in there...and takes alot less time and everything will be outta the way and it will be that much easier to get to everything else....i just prefer to do it all outta the car so its much easier to get too, and i dont like looking up all the time with dirt falling in my eye....the pedels are the only other slightly difficult part, but with a couple extensions it isnt too bad

until you try to do a tranny swap out on a neon, you cant legitamately say that it would be too hard and not worth it.....a head gasket isnt that hard either, wanna complain? try changing a head gasket on my wifes 4.0 cherokee, or a water pump on my durango...i would choose to do a whole atx to mtx swap on a neon any day...but thats just me

Old 06-29-2006, 04:45 PM
racerx55
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea auto to manual swap i had about 9 hours total in mine, from driving it in teh garage with the auto, to driving it out with the 5 speed, i have air tools but no lift,.. ya just gotta know what your doing, its not hard at all, dodge of all cars are the easiet to change the transmission in, anything all wheel drive becomes a mess

Old 06-29-2006, 05:15 PM
racerx55
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you have a bad motor mount on the right side of the car, your engine will fall out if the trans is removed and it decides to kick the jack out from under the engine[:@]

Quick Reply: ATX -> MTX & rear drums -> discs?