1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Alternator belt is running out of its place?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 12:22 AM
pimpberetta
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator belt is running out of its place?!

Driving down the road and the alternator belt shreads up. I cut off the shreaded parts and I drove it home fine.

I got to looking at the alternator and it appears that its slanted in such a fashion that its guiding the belt off the crank pulley and towards the engine. Is there some sort of adjustment that can be made for side-to-side. I know theres a front and back for the tension control, but the fact that this alternator bolts directly to the engine and is out of alignments, dumb founds me.

Much advice appreciated.

Thanks, Sean

Old 06-12-2006, 01:05 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Alternator belt is running out of its place?!

it doesnt adjust side to side unless there is a broken bracket or a loose bolt....but no adjustment

Old 06-12-2006, 01:19 AM
pimpberetta
Veteran

Not what I wanted to hear. Hmm, Pretty sure every bolt is tight.

How could it be off like that. I replaced that alternator less than a year ago.

Old 06-17-2006, 11:32 PM
95SOHC

well...the only thing i can think of is the bolt connecting to your adjustment bolt could be loose...other then that...hmmm...is your whole alternator sidewards???

Old 06-18-2006, 01:40 AM
FuzzRacer
Captain

dude I just had this problem, noticed one on my belts was wearing down so I had it changed, then for some reason beknown to me or the guy that put it on ( could have done the crap myself if I had that tool) the belt decided it wanted to role over,( it would sqeal a little on start up and when I would run the A/C) I figured it just needed to be tightend so I took it back and he put it right back on track, couple days later im driving and I hear this weird noise, like something was dragging. i just thought it was the black panel that protects the pulley. then my voltage meter dropped to 12 and my battery light came on, so i turned off my A/C and pulled into a parking lot, well enough my belt had been shredded. so i take a look a good long look and noticed that my pulley wasnt lined up. so off again I took it to the mechanic and sure enough he agreed, so basically after my long story. it came down to the pulley was not lined up , not sure how, not sure if its even possible for it to do that, but sure enough it was and i got it replaced and its been fine ever since, so maybe it could be your pulley hope that was helpfull and good luck !!

Old 06-18-2006, 05:36 AM
pimpberetta
Veteran

By pulley I assume you mean the one on the alternator?

Sean

Old 06-18-2006, 05:56 AM
FuzzRacer
Captain

yeah, so if that is the prob and you want some more hp that would be a good time to crab a performance one.

Old 06-20-2006, 09:45 PM
hooyerd

Just a thought in the dark but is it possible that some batches of alternators are out of spec? Like the pulley is not set on the alternator shaft at the correct depth? Both of the guys with the problem here have suggested that their alternators were recently replaced. I have replaced my alternator and really can't see how i could have screwed it up on side-to-side alignment if i tried. The only thing I can figure is that the pulley wasn't installed on the alternator correctly from the start. Hope it helps.

Old 06-21-2006, 04:35 PM
FuzzRacer
Captain

Good Point my alt was fine and like stated before it doesnt adjust. and a possible cause could be that something was loose or brooken, for some reason the pulley wasn't set back enough, it was outward, and I don't even know how that could have happend, but I think you have a good point there, it could be a spec problem of the depth, I wonder how many other neon owners might have had the same problem

Old 06-21-2006, 08:05 PM
pimpberetta
Veteran

Update. I seem to have found a remedy for the problem. I put some washers behind the alternator bracket for the lower mounting point of the alternator. It seems to re align it alot better.

My guess is that there was a spacer or plate in there before and it went out with the old alternator.

And simply the washers took the place of the spacer filling the gap!

Good luck,

Sean

Quick Reply: Alternator belt is running out of its place?!