1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

overheating

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 02:08 AM
jdog08
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overheating

ok today i was driving over to my girlfriends house and my car started to overheat and blowing i little bit of white smoke, then on the way home it was better but whenever i sat at a stop-light to long it would start to overheat again i was wondering what could be wrong

Old 06-14-2006, 02:19 AM
FuzzRacer
Captain
Default RE: overheating

sounds like the Headgasket has gone bad, hope not, what else is it doing, is it showing any other sings of a bad headgasket, bubbling coolant in the overflow tank, milky oil? hopefully your just burning oil but sounds like the gasket, thats just my suggestion, hope I helped some and good luck.

Old 06-14-2006, 02:56 AM
jdog08
Rookie

well first thing i had the head gasket replaced about 10k miles or so ago no bubbling and oil looked fine

Old 06-14-2006, 03:04 AM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Coolant in the exhaust can cause white steam and smell like anti-freeze. A blown headgasket can do it.

Old 06-14-2006, 03:08 AM
jdog08
Rookie

well the smoke is coming from under the hodd and smells like burning antifreeze

Old 06-14-2006, 04:50 AM
FuzzRacer
Captain

well if its coming from under the hood its still a prob, where exactly is it coming from? since its coming from under the hood it could be worse, could be a small crack somewhere, or even something as stupid as antifreeze finding its way out and burning off, like mabye around the radiator area, the radiator cap, or a pinhole in the plumbing but even with that it shouldn't overheat( unless the radiator is bad its self or maybe just maybe the water pump could be acting up which usually leaves you a nice puddle under the car so if you stop and check under the car and you have a nice puddle and the antifreeze in the tank seems to disappear fast then you have found your prob. did you have a polish job done for the valves and did you get the head milled? was a MLS gasket used? if it isnt your Headgasket ( hopefully not) do some checking, Run the car for a while and put some cardboard or something that you can get an idea of where there could a possible leak, let it get nice and hot and start sniffing around a bit especially around the radiator, water pump and head, check out the plumbing carefully, look for signs of fatigue from the hoses, if its a nice leak then the cardboard or whatever you used should give you an Idea of where it could be coming from, if there is nothing there, then you know its not your pump and and the plumbing ( along with further inspection) are ok its possible even with your recent gasket change that it could have been blown again or the head wasnt properly milled and checked for cracks, those are just some suggestions and I hope that something in there helps you out, hope its not the head like I said, could be something stupid. Hope I was helpfull and good luck !!

Old 06-14-2006, 05:19 AM
XJ bmx XJ

if its fine when driving and starts to over heat when stoped check if yer fans are turining on moms car did that the other day the smoke mite be steam from bubling over on to the manifold .... just a thought

Old 06-14-2006, 08:58 PM
jdog08
Rookie

well i think i may have found the problem i checked to see were the anti-freze was coming from and it was coming from the radiator cap and that seemed to stop the smoking problem so i am going to get some more fluid to fill the radiator back up and then see if it still overheats i will give you guys an update if that fixes the problem and by the way thanks for all the help

Old 06-14-2006, 10:49 PM
redmanfx
Rookie

A bad radiator cap will cause air to escape and you'll hear that bubbling sound as fluid flows to the overflow. The cap may have dry rotted and cracked gaskets which tell you to replace the cap. Funny this just happened to me yesterday. Lucky for me there were alot of used ones from my parts cars.....

red

Old 06-14-2006, 11:35 PM
sethsneon69

yea my dads a local truck driver and his buddies usually have alot of car parts for sale (how i got my spare engine ) You could call me a pack rat cause if someone has a par thatll fit on my neon and is in good shape you bet I buy it, Never hurts to be on the safe side and I think I'd rather have a good conditioned part for 1/8 of the brand new price you have to pay when something goes bad :P

Quick Reply: overheating