1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

A few questions from a Neon nOOb

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 02:47 AM
JoKeR6
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few questions from a Neon nOOb

Ok. Well I am new to the site, well I'm new to neons all together. My friend just bought a 95' SOHC MTX neon. Our other friend has the same car. Well our friend had 2 wrecked neons, so I bought one for my friend for a parts car (he sold it to me for $25). All my friend wants is the interior and hood(which we swaped already) but I have the rest of the car sitting at my house.

It needs a new rad. support(which I went to school for auto body so thats no problem) and they said the auto trans started to slip bad. He also said the SOHC 2.0 was "blown up" But he could still start it and drive it(since was taken appart and just put back together without everything on right).

My questions are

1) how can I findout what is wrong with the motor. I think its probly the headgasket but I don't know how to findout.

2) I want to go turbo with this car, so I was reading and read that the 2.4 our of a stratus and a 2000 neon 5spd tranny are the best parts for turbo. Also, would it be better to turbo the 2.0 SOHC or DOHC and is it worth swaping to the DOHC if it is better.

3) What other mods should I do with the turbo setup(I know the sts, full exhaust, ect) but I mean should I cam it or will that screw my idle and set the timeing to far off?

4) I was also wondering if it would help much to have it gutted(no interior besides frontseats, doorpanals and dash) or if its not going to make THAT much of a difference. I know lighter is better but does anyone have any idea what the difference would be?

I am planning to drive this car around town and just to play with as a project, something to have fun in and maybe take to the track once and awhile. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Old 06-26-2006, 03:03 AM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: A few questions from a Neon nOOb

1. Look for oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil, if you have either...it's a headgasket.
2. The DOHC is capable of making more power, but a 2.4 would be capable of making even more power. Any 95-99 tranny that is a 3.55 is good for the turbo.
3.Depends on how much boost you want to run. 5-7PSI, you're good with stock internals, get higher than that, then you are looking at rods, pistons and such.
4.I think the rule is 100 lbs of weight reduction buys you .1 of a second or something like that.

Old 06-26-2006, 03:16 AM
JoKeR6

Thanks a lot. If it only takes off .1 secound for 100lbs its not even worth being uncomfortable for it driving it around town. Well I think I MAY have found a tranny and motor already(2.4 MTX). So I will look into it. And is there anywhere that you can buy just the turbo manifold for a neon without the whole kit so I could build my own kit? What kinda power do you think a 2.4 running 7psi would put down(about I know theres no set #). And would I have to get a different turbo manifold or setup for the 2.4 than the 2.0?

Old 06-26-2006, 03:21 AM
das2123
Legend

Try eBay for the turbo manifold...although it will be a harder route ot follow, than just buying a kit.

Old 06-26-2006, 03:25 AM
JoKeR6

Ok. Well I was looking at the thread in the sticky at the top and seen that Chillfactory or whatever its called is what everyone seems to like. But the link didn't work for my, Would you mind telling me what the kits would run me, about I am saying. And would I have to use a different manifold for the 2.4 than the 2.0?

Old 06-26-2006, 03:32 AM
das2123
Legend

Chill Factory is temporarily out of business, that I know of. They had some ordering issues they were/are working out.

A stage II Hahn kit is $3000 and worth every cent. I'm not real sure on the manifold, but I think it will bolt up to a 2.4.

Old 06-26-2006, 03:51 AM
JoKeR6

ORIGINAL: das2123

Chill Factory is temporarily out of business, that I know of. They had some ordering issues they were/are working out.

A stage II Hahn kit is $3000 and worth every cent. I'm not real sure on the manifold, but I think it will bolt up to a 2.4.

O, ok. Well $3k is a little out of my budget(don't know quite what my budget is, but not that much, lol. I'll keep looking into the turbo setups.

My friend had a stratus with the 2.4 5spd and said it moved. Then his buddy got it and took the tranny out and put it into his neon and the stratus got given to my friend nate, where he replaced it with a neon tranny. They said the car didn't run NEAR as good with the neon tranny becouse it was geared different, whats the story with that?

And how much power could be squezzed out of a DOHC n/a for less $ than a turbo setup would cost? Thanks for all the info, its a LOT of help[sm=confused06.gif]

Old 06-26-2006, 12:05 PM
das2123
Legend

The 1st gen neons have to different trannies...a 3.55 and 3.94 tranny. The 3.55 seems to be a better fit for turbo and the 3.94 seems to be better for lower HP output cars. The 3.94 is better on gas milage also.

With just bolt-ons on a DOHC...maybe around 170-190, but I am not sure.

Old 06-26-2006, 05:36 PM
tomthedog
Captain

i think someone said neon's can take a 50hp shot of nitrous without any probs? anyone know how much this is? i too have heard about the .01sec reduction for every 100 pounds. might be a bit more with a smaller car, not much. good luck.

Old 06-26-2006, 05:40 PM
das2123
Legend

Nitrous can be safe with only a 50 shot and reliable with stock internals on a neon.

Quick Reply: A few questions from a Neon nOOb