Noob here needs help plz.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 03:45 AM
p3
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob here needs help plz.

Hey all,
This is my very first post on any carforums ever so i hope i dont make a fool out of myself even if i do please ignore it cause i am dumb when it comes to cars.

I just got a second hand dodge neon 97 model. To be exact :

1997 DODGE NEON HIGHLINE/SPORT
PILLARD HARDTOP 4 DR
2.0L L4 SFI SOHC 16V / FRONT WHEEL DRIVE

Its 5 Spd Mannual Transmission.

Ok i managed to get some info from my car friend in usa about what L4 and SFI means.

the old owner said thats he engine was replace in 98 , so i dont know how authentic his words are, so is there a way to confirm that the engine is not 97 engine and it was infact replaced.

I ran a carfax report on it and it has nothing on it (like accidents or anything). So what could have been reason for replacement if it was infact replaced.

Please explain like ur talking to a noooob, as how to indentify the engine.

It has rust on the bottom right/left doors and i want it coated what paint or method should i follow to get that removed? color is metallic green. I dont have digi on me but will arange one soon to get some pics also.

Old 06-27-2006, 01:36 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Noob here needs help plz.

Unfortunately, there is no engine identification on the neon's engine.

Old 06-27-2006, 04:29 PM
tomthedog
Captain

neon's are known to have head gasket issues, if it blew it clould have warped the head or jacked up the engine enough for replacement. if you have a "c" in the mid of your vin then it came with a sohc. look at where your spark plugs go into the valve cover. on my 96 sohc the plugs are to the front of the valve cover, on dohc's they sould be more to the middle.

timming belt may have also broke, might be cheaper to replace the engine if it messed the motor bad enough.

Old 06-27-2006, 05:53 PM
p3
Rookie

Ok they guy i got the car had all receipts of the changes or work done on car and here are few of those things (dont know what they mean)

106/05/2004:

new complete radiator

hose clamp

7lb rad cap

Litre antifreeze

07/13/2005

R&R Front Pads & Rotors Zx642 Pads

CV BOOT Clamp Missing (put new one) 63$

Oh my seems like car was in accident but it didnt show up on carfax,maybe i should sue carfax or something.

Anyways list continues :

01/31/2000

300-08120 3U-Engine Assy.
160 OP40,FW EDEN (whatever this means)
97 Neon Dodg SOHC (Vin "c)

jan/26/2004

Selector Control Not Working (R&R Cable Assm).

12/22/2002
At 126K
(from canadian tires)
Reline Drum Brakes -Rear
Cert. Vreake Clnr 390g

Clean And/Or Adjust Disc or Drum Breaks -Rear

Notes:
Shoes were fine left spring fell off due to loose adjustment.60% Shoe left on Rear

The accident i mentioned above was like in 2002,06/23. And had loos of about 700$ And here are the stuff changed. Well i dont know if engine got messed or not but can someone tell if engine is damaged in anyway or predict?

It was at 118 K Odometer Reading.

Refinish : FRT. Bumper Cover Left Side

Overhaul : Frt Cover Assy

Remove/Replace LFrt Bumper Mounting Bracket

Remove/Install : L Headlamp Assy.

Repair : L Fender Panel

Refinish : L Fender Outside

Remove/Install : L Fender Adhesive Moulding

Remove/Install L Fender Cover Cap

Remove/Install : Clean MLDG Adhesive

Refinish/Repair : Featheredge, Prime And Sand

Refinish/Repair: Mask for Overspray

ADD'L OPR : Clear Coat
ADD'L cost : PAint/Materials
ADD'L cost : Shop Materials.

2000,25/05

Alternator .

2005/08/03
At 153K

Scanner Hook-Up EGR System Failure

EGR Valve assembly - $289

2006/10/01

New Battery From CT.

2004/15/04
At 145K

Repair Adjuster Lever
Service Battery.

2004/08/13

195/65r14 "TR" Kum 771 All Season
413R Short Rubber Valve Stem

Aaah darn couldnt find any headgasket replacement reciept i hate people who lie.

Anyways seems like the car has more work on it than i paid for it . I wonder if i should fear something breaking again.

Any suggestions?

Old 06-27-2006, 06:16 PM
das2123
Legend

You can check to see if you have the MLS HG..look between the runners for a small tab that sticks out of the head. Just keep the maintenance up on it and you should be ok. If the engine isn't making any noises, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Sounds like you got a good deal so enjoy it!

Old 06-27-2006, 06:46 PM
p3
Rookie

ORIGINAL: das2123

You can check to see if you have the MLS HG..look between the runners for a small tab that sticks out of the head. Just keep the maintenance up on it and you should be ok. If the engine isn't making any noises, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Sounds like you got a good deal so enjoy it!
Sorry u can call me moron when it comes to cars, so whats a "Runner" got any images of the same, cause its hard to find dodge neons images online . And whats a MLS HG? HG i get as headgasket but whats mls? And is that an engraved on something to look at?

Old 06-27-2006, 06:57 PM
das2123
Legend

ORIGINAL: p3
Sorry u can call me moron when it comes to cars, so whats a "Runner" got any images of the same, cause its hard to find dodge neons images online . And whats a MLS HG? HG i get as headgasket but whats mls? And is that an engraved on something to look at?
I wouldn't call you a moron..LOL...

Your intake manifold, which is below your fuel rail, has 4 black tube looking things. Those are your "intake runners". Standing in front of your vehicle, counting from left to right, there should be a tab sticking out between the 3rd and 4th runners identifying if it has a Multi-Layered Steel gasket in there.

Old 06-27-2006, 07:30 PM
p3
Rookie

Ok i will try to find it in evening cause right now its really hot outside . Other things i gotta ask is , it has rust on bottom sideof both doors in the front , what paint or procedure should i use to get rid of. Also i noticed that someone might have hit the car at night while parking as i see a small hairline dent right under the fuel tanks inlet(whats the techincal term i dunno,the place where u put fuel in from). and a bit of paint has come off also should i asap fix that cause someone said that it might start rusting and fuel tank might also start doing that. IF so how should i go about fixing it?

Naa u can call me " Car Moron/Noob " if moron is too general term [:-]. PS: Thanks for help i hope i am able to find that MLS thingy. And is there any way to see if it has been replaced like any manufacturing year on it ?

Old 06-27-2006, 08:32 PM
das2123
Legend

ORIGINAL: p3
i hope i am able to find that MLS thingy. And is there any way to see if it has been replaced like any manufacturing year on it ?
If it does have it, then you are good. The manufacturing date won't matter.

I don't know about the rust stuff, I'm not really a body man. Maybe just sand it down and primer it.

Old 06-28-2006, 04:51 AM
p3
Rookie

Ok primer is new to me is that a techinque or something

And here are the cars pics can u tell me where the hell is the darn mls thing maybe use paintbrush and draw a arrow on one of the images.

http://www.sbclansite.com/carpics/100_0004.JPG

More pics in same directory aka : http://www.sbclansite.com/carpics/

Quick Reply: Noob here needs help plz.