1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Newbie with Starting question

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 02:07 PM
nbka1bm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie with Starting question

Recently my dad gave me his 89 dodge truck 150 I think it says on the side. It was great this spring hauling yard stuff, wood and such. So now to the problem, as it got warmer this summer I have had a problem with it not wanting to start if it gets hot. Not the temp of the engine, the temp of the air. The temp never get above half on the dash it seems to be effectef by the outside temp only.I can start it up first thing in the morning and it is great drives like a dream. Then I get to the store shut it off, go in, load my stuff, hop in and it won't turn over. It will crank and crank and crank but wont kick in. If I let it sit for an hour or so it will start right up. Can someone give me a clue of what this might be. I cranked it yesterday just fine, but I am afraid to drive it because I don't want to be stuck on the side of the road. Thanks for any help you can give me. I have fairly limited mechanical ability, oilchanges, brakes, plugs, routine stuff, clueless about engines or electrical.

Old 07-05-2006, 02:10 PM
nbka1bm
Default Sorry wrong forum!!!!!!

Sorry posted in the wrong place.

Old 07-05-2006, 10:01 PM
Ramrat
Professional
Default RE: Sorry wrong forum!!!!!!

sounds like a sticky float in the carb, i had a newport that did the same thing, had to tap on the front of the carb with somthing to unstick the float and then hold down the gas as sticky floats will flood her, if the tapping thing works for ya it's your float if not maybe choke, ether way time for a new carb or rebuild what ya have

Quick Reply: Newbie with Starting question